1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first skeleton mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by elizw, Mar 10, 2008.

1. elizw

elizw New Member

OK. I've mustered the courage to post....my first skeleton mount. It's a raccoon.

I haven't finished. I still need to do the ankles and feet.

I have 2 ribs left over, too.... LOL ::) One side of the ribcage looks good, the other....well.....let's just say, I learned on that side!

feedback? (gulp)

Eliz

2. bruce r

bruce r New Member

I am brand new to taxidermy and the like and have never done a skeleton mount before but to me that looks awsome!!! would like to see when the feet are done

3. armymac26

armymac26 God made me really strong!! Not really smart!!!

That is AWESOME keep up the good work ;D ;)

4. I like it. Looks good.

5. DILLWEED

DILLWEED www.burkholderswildlifestudio.com

looks good , what method did you use to clean the bones ?

6. elizw

elizw New Member

Well, God's little helpers cleaned the bones for me bigtime.... literally. ha ha

I found it nice and clean in my front yard one spring.... tucked away by the stone wall.

It's a bit amazing that no animal walked away with the bones...that has always shocked me.

Anyway, I picked it up and brought it inside. Simmered it in borax. Rinsed. voila.

Never used hydrogen peroxide (I didn't know about it....)

I used hydrogen peroxide on everything now. -Eliz

7. way cool

8. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

They give you extra ribs ;-) Nice job.

9. elizw

elizw New Member

Here's something funny....

The poles holding the raccoon up are actually copper pipes that were running through my basement ceiling as of a few weeks ago. I needed some pipe and my husband said, "here use this....RIP...I don't think it was doing anything..."

;D

10. Helicity

Helicity Squirrels – Natures Road Bumps

I'm terrifed to start my first skeleton. I will have the bones in a few weeks and in a year it should be done :)

11. wttail

wttail New Member

Sweet!...never tried one

12. coontrapper_lol

coontrapper_lol New Member

thats awsome i have several raccoons mounted i need one like that to add to my collection of raccoons. looks good

13. elizw

elizw New Member

Thanks for the nice words...
    :)
    It does take time.....(mine took about 3 years....!!! But that's because I'm a moron...)

I found a glue gun sped things up a thousand percent.

I'm told glue guns don't hold up over time, but I figure when it does start falling apart, I'll know what I'm doing (hopefully by then!) and be able to redo it all, correctly. ha ha

14. does not look bad at all. please post pics once you are done with the entire thing...

15. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

looks like you did it good job.