1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about Dextrine...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by after the shot, Mar 10, 2008.

1. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I see that some use dextrine based hide paste or add it to hide paste. THe question that I have is, Since it is basically a vegetable based starch, wouldnt there be a concern that it could attract insects? I have been pondering this in my head for a few days since someone brought up the topic at a workshop. I am not knocking anyones methods, I'm just asking a question. Here is the deffinition that i found for it:

DEXTRINE (BRITISH GUM, STARCH GUM, LE10c0ME), (C 6 H 10 0 5)x, a substance produced from starch by the action of dilute acids, or by roasting it at a temperature between and 240° C. It is manufactured by spraying starch with 2% nitric acid, drying in air, and then heating to about 110°. Different modifications are known, e.g. amylodextrine, erythrodextrine and achroodextrine. Its name has reference to its powerful dextrorotatory action on polarized light. Pure dextrine is an insipid, odourless, white substance; commercial dextrine is sometimes yellowish, and contains burnt or unchanged starch. It dissolves in water and dilute alcohol; by strong alcohol it is precipitated from its solutions as the hydrated compound, C6H1005 H20. Diastase converts it eventually into maltose, C12H22011; and by boiling with dilute acids (sulphuric, hydrochloric, acetic) it is transformed into dextrose, or ordinary glucose, C 6 H 12 0 6. It does not ferment in contact with yeast, and does not reduce Fehling's solution. If heated with strong nitric acid it gives oxalic, and not mucic acid. Dextrine much resembles gum arable, for which it is generally substituted. It is employed for sizing paper, for stiffening cotton goods, and for thickening colours in calico printing, also in the making of lozenges, adhesive stamps and labels, and surgical bandages.

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

It is indeed a mixture of starches, complex sugars... Hopefully they put a bug proofing agent in the mix along with antifungals..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextrine

3. STARCHES AND MODIFIED STARCHES
    Starch is produced by plants for their nourishment. It is a key constituent of maize, wheat, rye, rise, barley, oats and other cereals, and a substantial part of tapioca, potatoes and beans. Maize is one of the most economical sources of starch as it consists of 60% starch. Tapioca is another major supplier of starch.

YELLOW DEXTRINE AND WHITE DEXTRINE
    Yellow dextrine and White dextrine is obtained as a result of modification of starch with catalyst under controlled condition. It is an intermediary in the conversion process, changing into a soluble form and then to dextrine. It has a great deal of adhesive power.