1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

skinning fox

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by newby82, Mar 12, 2008.

1. newby82

newby82 Member

I want to skin out a fox for a pelt to put on the wall any Ideas on the best way to skin it out
    I would make the inscision on the back or belly/??

2. zachhanel

zachhanel New Member

belly, you could case skin it, if your putting it as a wallhanger and not mounting it then a dorsal cut would be completely pointless

3. Sikk

Sikk Member

If its a wall hanger I would case skin it, slit the legs for relief if needed, tan and dry on a stretcher. take off stretcher and break it several times as drying. pack some critter clay in the nose and hang on a nail or screw, the critter clay will form to make a good hanger. paul

4. Belly, (Case skin)

5. You have 2 options.
    1) case it. You cut down the inside of one leg and up the other. Cut around the butt and reproductive parts. You shouldnt need any relief cuts to skin it. Just keep pulling it inside out and when you are done you will have a full pelt with only 1 cut at the back legs.

2) You can actually cut the belly like you would do if you were going to make a rug. This way you would have a flat rug with fur on only one side, like a bear rug.

Either way you will have to tan it, otherwise the bugs will get to it. You can get a tanning kit like lutan F and do it at home easily or send it off for not alot more. If you have any questions feel free to email me.
    Travis