1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Blade "Whats the Best"

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by RWTAXIDERMY, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Who makes the best Circular Fleshing Blade for the money? I have a Dakota V I just purchased back in Dec. 2007 and have only shaved down about 10 capes with it, every cape had same or similar results, uneven cutting or chatter marks. I have checked everything I can think of to resolve the problem. Well today I found the problem, the blade is out of round, I called VanDykes about the problem and they said they will have someone contact me monday. I can only assume the blade that comes equipped is too soft and should be replaced with a hard steel blade. Anyone know who has the best Quality Blades for Fleshing Machines?

2. Randy Mac

Randy Mac New Member

Order a back issue number 71 from Breakthough mag. it might help you out

3. Rush

Rush New Member

Your blade isnt out of round, you lip had a dull spot on it, which causes chatter bumps. Shaveing over thorns or hitting copper bullets or wires, anything could of done it or the person regrinding or sharpening it was in a hurry,doesnt take much, can usually be fixed with your steels.

4. How did you figure it out? Usually that conclusion can only be detected by putting the blade on a grinder that is "tuned" correctly. A new grind should fix the issue if the tuning steels are not getting the chatter marks cleared up.

5. My machine does that too, there is a small ding in the cutting edge, very small like 3/64 of an inch, I can hardly see it without watching with a mag visor. Our deer are pretty short haired and it does not show on the mount.

If you have a really good steady hand take a mile file and turn the machine on then off, and dress the edge of the blade horizontally with the blade. this will even the cut up and a touch with 220 sand paper from back to front will help.