1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dakota IV is it worth the money?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by francis, Mar 13, 2008.

1. francis

francis Member

i'm really looking in to getting this model. i'm not rich by any means so this would be all i can afford. i mainly need to tan a bunch of coyote, fox, beaver, racoon. will i be happy with it. i've heard its hard to adjust and work with.

2. Felpy

Felpy New Member

You are right the Dakota IV is a major pain in the !*& to adjust. If you have a lot of time or if time isn't money for you then the IV may work as a starter machine. We purchased a IV a year and a half ago and have only used it 3 times. I'm ready to rip it off the table and use it as an anchor (although its probably not heavy enough) My suggestion would be to send your skins to the tannery and start saving for the Dakota Pro.

3. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    no

4. John L

John L Active Member

Felpy if you rip it off the table ship it to me. It took me a while to get everything adjusted and understand what I had to do to make mine perform the way it should but now I love it.

John

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

The iv will work fine for you. They all have a learning curve.

6. humphreyjm

humphreyjm New Member

CT
    Do you really need one for fox coyotes and coon? I could see it for bigger animals like deer that have thicker hides.

7. francis

francis Member

well, i enjoy tanning, i do it because i want to become proficient and quick. the coon and beaver really take time to thin. the neck area of a coon is pretty dang thick. if i could get these hides thinned down it would make the breaking process a breeze. i know because i have sanded them down and that made it much easier to tan. the only problem with sanding is it takes FOREVER. i'm assuming that the dakota IV will help to thin down the neck and head area of the coon, and the whole beaver. i also plan to do deer and elk later after i graduate from college.

8. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

will work fine

9. I have a IV and i like it...i still have the old style guards..but i'm upgrading to the new style this week after seeing them at the PA show. Should speed up the adjusting issue. :)

10. AWT

AWT "Preserving all God's creatures"

I have had a IV and a V. I used both for a short while, then I sold the V and kept the IV. I've been using the IV for about 5 years now and the only thing I would change on mine is the old style guards as well. After using it for a while, you will get to where you can just about flesh anything with it. It is small enough to do really detailed fleshing, but big enough to handle most large jobs as well. Just keep the blade sharp, and your cut-proof gloves on! good luck, and God bless.

11. I'm glad to see someone else has the same problem.

12. jmh7331

jmh7331 Northeast Big Buck Club

I bought the IV at the PA show this past weekend. Northeast Cryptid, maybe that was you talking to me about it at the booth. The VanDykes rep actually talked me OUT of getting the V. He said it is plenty for what I need. It was definitely a PITA to adjust, but I have been doing woodworking for years and have a few machines that are tough as well (a 35 yr old radial arm saw comes to mind!) It takes a while longer than the big machines but is definitely faster than my knife and scalpel

13. Yeah Jim..that was me..LOL...I like mine as i said.it is fine for what i do. i can't wait to get the new guards and adjusting wheels and see if it helps.....

14. jmh7331

Funny, you didn't look anything like your avatar pic! LOL. Thanks for the info, I was really going there to buy the V but after talking to you and the VanDyke's rep I went with the IV. Now my wife will probably want to spend the money I saved on new clothes!

15. I was incognito.....america's most wanted is still looking for me.. ::)

16. jmh7331

Here's a pic of me with the new toy. I couldn't wait to get it home and start working. I have to raise it up a bit, my back will be killing me if I keep it like that for too long. I just didn't want to wait any longer. (My wife loves the bandana!) ;D

[​IMG]

17. They are fun...yeah..get it up a lot higher---i have mine just a little under armpit height(i can see better when working on muzzles and small things)..Have fun..watch the fingertips!!!! ;D