1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A new found respect for....ME!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ron B, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I have recently started trying to train one of my boys, "and my wife as well", to help me in the shop, as it has simply gotten to be to much for me. I have never trained anyone before and all the taxidermist I have ever been around already knew what they were doing. As I have watched them struggling to get the hang of things that I have been doing for 30 years I realized that I have taken these skills for granted. This crap is HARD!!! Even when you have someone showing you. What I can do in minutes takes them an hour and I get frustrated to no end. I try not to show it so they don't get discouraged with it but it has really just made me think about what it really takes to learn this art. For those of us who have mastered, or in my case....sort of mastered, this business we need not feel guilty for CHARGING for our skills. When you do it day in and day out you really forget the years spent learning. It becomes such second nature that you assume everyone can do it like you do. . I'm not one of these guys who gripes about others prices, but the next time a customer tries to talk you down just point to your fleshing machine and say.."Okay, you do it then!"

Anyway, my point is, I had forgotton how hard it was for me to get to this point. We should take pride in our skills and charge accordingly.

2. Ron me too. As I teach my son and wife sometimes I get to saying speed it up, speed it up. We mounted a deerhead yesterday that would do vey well in most state shows in the pro divison, its an everyday deer. we are getting $535.00 on this deer, I in noway feel guilty about charging that another done earlier this week would also do well, but its not as good as yesterdays deer. but pretty god non the less and only a taxidermist with good skills would see the difference. We did bondo ears on the later buck and I can tell you one is so thin!!! It's incredible I never thought a bondo ear could be that thin but my son proved to me it can be.

Hell I learned from the newbie!!!

As he learned we have been swapping back and forth on head, he gets on to me for being to picky but I tell him, "Do it like we are doing it for a show, then you me and everyone will be happy.

I also learned from him something else, I can fix any freezer burn, I had done it in the past but learned a new way to fix freezer burned hides.

Back to skinning fish.

Ron they are running 7 generators at the dam so I aint fishing today and may not tomorrow.

3. I am doing a paper for college on getting started in the taxidermy business, do you have any advice for me? What is the best location to get information that is referenceable on taxidermy? Thanks in advance.

4. All the best info is here about taxidermy its in the arciveds and under the search button.

Nest info I can give is get a good education in the field before jumping in and taking on customers.
    Know how to add up numbers and prove what price you really need to make a lving.

5. PWS

PWS Active Member

The USFWS does surveys every 5 years on hunting & fishing, expenditures, etc. They break down the data regionally, by state, by species, etc. LOTS of data in LOTS of formats. Should be enough to run a market research analysis (market size, segmentation, etc.), break-even analysis, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Survey_of_Fishing,_Hunting,_and_Wildlife-Associated_Recreation
    http://library.fws.gov (search for "survey of hunting" or something similar)
    http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/fishing.html