1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hunting pics!!!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by almt1012, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Looks like it was a very good year for everyone , in the deer department this year!!

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Skywalker Jr. connected on a nice Tom Lion today. Congrats Patrick, love ya Son! 8)

Attached Files:

3. Skywalker

I traded work last year on 2 Lion hunts for my kids. Since my daughter isn't talking to me these days, tomorrow I get to take one. With luck! 8)

Attached Files:

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Well looks like we hit S.Texas a week too early. Didn't see any mature deer to shoot, but we got our limit of "Stink Rats" and collected some really great Habitat materials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Javalina hunting is one of my favorite hunts. Looks like you got a few nice ones.
    Ralph

6. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Always something that needs gotten in Texas ! You did a good job of it ! Pink fletchings ? Who shot that one ?

7. BrookeSFD16

Lol Brian, that was me. The lease we are on is overrun with them. They are so aggressive the hogs won't even come around them. They run the deer off, and "gang up" like some teenage street gangs. For some reason the state of Texas only allows 2 per hunter per year?

And..... just a little history lesson. When it was first determined that safety was an issue for hunters.....PINK was the color they chose. There's NOTHING pink in the woods during hunting season, hence my pink fletchings. But....they realized pretty quick that men would more that likely not wear pink, so Hunter Orange was born!

I like pink....it reminds my of the color of blood when you wash it off the concrete. :eek:

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

up here in Mn red was the color for ages......or "paul bunyan" red plaid...then that was outlawed and only blaze orange is allowed....Wisc just allowed hot pink as legal and Mn likely will follow suit in 2016......

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

How do javelina. Taste.is it similar to wild boar/pork.any bacon on them.thanks.

10. BrookeSFD16

Brian.

I have heard of people eating them. I have not. The meat is very white, looks alot like pork. Javalina are actually in the Rodent family, and are aged close to alligators in their time here on earth (or so I read). They have a scent gland near their anus, high on their backs. They will rub brush with it and I have seen several rub each others with their noses.

I will tell you this....you can smell them from 30 yards with no wind. It's a cross between piss and skunk...and I'm not exaggerating. You don't need a blood trail to find them...just get downwind.

11. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

Javelina are in the Tayassuidae (New World pig) family. They are hoofed mammals, and most definitely not rodents. Very cool animals that I would love to hunt sometime.

12. BrookeSFD16

Yeah....what they said.

AND THEY STINK!!!

13. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

LOL

14. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Not much meat on Javie's. I have only shot one. Cooked it in a slow cooker, shredded and added BBQ sauce. I was OK, not bad but not great. BBQ sauce fixes anything!!

15. Syms1919

Syms1919 Member

[​IMG]
    Here's my buddies year
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. nate

nate Active Member

Wow!! Awesome hunting pics!! Merry Christmas!!

17. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Awesome trophies ! Congrats !

18. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Phenomenal!

19. Skywalker

I took this one the day after junior took his! 8)

Attached Files:

20. nate

nate Active Member

Thats awesome skywalker!! A mountain lion hunt is definetley on my bucket list!!