1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cape cut to short

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by rice194, Nov 18, 2006.

1. This is my second year and i've mounted 30 deer so far with good results, but the last deer I caped out I cut to far forward on the shoulders and dont have enough cape, by the way I'm using a Meader full sneak form. I'm short 2 or 3 inches . What are my options? Maybe cut the form and reattach backboard or maybe use an upright form? Also I've tried a size smaller form and that did'nt help. Thank you for your help.

2. mount it

mount it My Mount

Call the customer and explain the problem. If he wants to replace the cape and pay for it, go for it. If not, cut the form and replace the back board. Of course it will not have a full shoulder. Randall

3. Randall pretty much said it. Either get a new cape or cut the back of the form. An upright form is not going to be any different then the full sneak on the brisket and sides, it could help for the top of the back. This all depends on where of the cape your are short. Are you short all the way around?

Porbably your best bet would be to just cut the back of the form a couple of inches and re-install the backboard and mount it up. On a full sneak form this would not be quite as evident then on and upright which could end up to look like a neck mount. :)

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I'd shorten the form. Cut the back off and replace the board.
    If YOU cut it too short, I would not expect the customer to pay for replacement. I wouldn't be surprised the they didn't ask for a discount. Like I said, I'd just shorten the form and let it be.

5. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Why should the customer be made to pay for the extra cape? It was the taxidermist that cut it to short. Thats not right any way you look at it.