1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Starting big...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fatrooster77, Mar 19, 2008.

1. fatrooster77

fatrooster77 New Member

Would there be any advantage to starting on something big, like a cow elk as opposed to starting on a pheasant or something small? As a newbie looking in it I understand that there would be issues but it seems like you might have a little more room for error on something big... Just looking for thoughts... Looking at doing my first mount this fall on a friend's does and moving on from their.

2. zachhanel

zachhanel New Member

no, start with something with less chance of getting you get beat up if you screw up, you'll feel better perfecting on cheap coyotes then wrecking an elk,

3. Deerslayer08

Deerslayer08 Active Member

Start with whatever you have available. Your first will probably not be incredibly nice, but you'll learn alot in the process.

4. i agree with Zach get all your basic's with something like a coyote shoulder or pedestal there are fairly cheap as far as practice work goes. The form is alot less than an elk form and by the time you have done 5 or so you will start to get an understanding of the work and time that it will take.

5. Yea dont start on anything thats gonna get you down on yourself. Like Monkey Man said, start with what you have available and with something that isnt of much importance if you mess up on it.

6. try a coon you get them every place there is a road gives you good experance in skinning and fleshing also if you dont get it the way you want there is a endless suply out there mark c

7. petey14

petey14 New Member

I think if you start something big and never done something like an elk before you might have problems and get frustrated with it and might not want to fininsh it.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I disagree, and agree to a point. Mounting a throw away bird is nothing like doing an Elk. Many have started on deer or larger, took the butt kicking and made it through anyway. There is nothing wrong with starting on an Elk or large game head. You still have to take knocks doing a pheasant, and you still have to cut your teeth on a bluegill or perch. Size doesn't matter as you have to learn all animals sooner or later anyway.