1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Presure washing a deer cape with pics.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mcole, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mount it

mount it My Mount

It has Formic Acid in it. Be careful with it and always wear gloves.Randall

2. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

The guys I use to do all my tanning use a presher washer to flesh their capes. They use it on every thing. Even african.

From what I understand they rehydrate the skin and than take it out and presher wash them. I was their the last time they did african capes. You wouldn't believe all the stuf that came off of them. You can bearly see the membrane because it it so dried out. It realy loosened up the capes as well. They didn't feel like wet rubber oncethey got done. One of these days I will get a presure washer.

3. We Pressure wash all Mammals in school.. Sure is a killer way to flesh hides..And Man the Turbo Nozzle that Lowes sells is SUPER.. Cuts the fat of a Hide in 1/4 time a regular nozzle does and even cuts down the the Fat/Water kick back ALOT!!

4. fineart

fineart New Member

anyone ever tried a fat ol bear.

5. Is there anyone from central PA area (Harrisburg), that uses this method? If so would you be willing to let me observe you the next time you are pressure washing hides. I would love to see this done first hand.

6. A buddy used it on bear and says 15 minutes and the bear is done and he does his own tanning, claims you dont have to do any degreasing. but I aint sure about that!

7. KStovall

KStovall New Member

I'm even pressure fleshing Turkeys and European mt.s (be extra careful around the nose) pretty much everything except ducks and squirrles.

8. bw

bw New Member

I have heard more than one person say that they don't need to degrease their bears anymore after pressure washing them. They say it blasts most of the fat out of the cells and replaces it with water.

9. laci

laci New Member

What exacley does the turbo tip do? I have a 4000psi and it came with several tips that change out. But what hind if fan does the turbo put out? I have tips from 0 up to 5. Would one of these work?

10. Turbo tip has a cone shape and oscilation, I have not used any other tip so dont know, Lowes has a turbo tip for $30.00

11. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

Will a 2000psi pressure washer work on deer hides? I just bought one today, but if it is too weak, I will return it for a larger one.

12. Becky, i don't know if 2000 will do it. i have a 2500 and it works fine. I guess all you can do is try it.

13. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

Note to using pressure washer: always make sure your water is on before using it, because the pump working without the water on blows out the seal. I like the pressure washer on everything, car wash, sidewalks, mold or old paint to remove off the house for re-paints. Yes about the holes, you can burn a hole in a red brick with a pressure washer. Watch that you do not hit anyone or your own foot with that water. Have never tried this on hide before, looks like that would make that job real easy then. Wear old shoes, the water is everywhere splashing back at you.

Steve

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Becky:

What would be the price diff between 2 and 3000psi? Mine is 3200psi, it is a Karcher which you can get at Sam's Wholesale Club for around $475. I think you are getting close to minimal force with the 2000 psi.

15. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

I have a 2000psi 6 HP pressure washer and it can drill a hole in a red brick in less time than you would imagine. If you can spend more for 2500psi or bigger then you will have something you will never be sorry you owned.

Steve

16. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

I put a 3000 psi Troy-Bilt to GREAT use today! I had a little bitty whatever brand that only went up to 11 or 12 hundred. It was fine for blowing ick off of skulls...but was PITIFUL when it came to doing hides. I was bumming! But Ivan gave me this new one last night. I rapid thawed a mulie cape in salt water...fleshed it...I had stringie dingies and white thingies from stem to stern, back around to the stem and down to my stern AGAIN! It was A TON AND A HALF OF FUN! And it worked like an ice cream dream!! I LOVEEEEEEEEEE IT and am entirely too excited to try it on a bear!!!!! It's a kick in the pants and I love it...love it love it! SO much faster than using a fleshing beam. I wasn't 10 minutes because it was my first try with a real washer...but after I got a groove going...oh my gosh...I love love love it! (Y'all get that I loved fleshing that deer today??) HOWEVER...I pointed it at a javelina skull I'd had macerating for 2 weeks...got a little back splash...MAN am I grateful I had my mouth closed! EW! LOL

17. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

Has anyone ever used a pressure washer to "prehydrate" a hard dry-salted cape before putting it into a standard rehydration bath? Theoretically it seems like it would really speed up the process of rehydrating a cape or even give it more" stretchyness" before pickling.

18. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Kiwi showed me how to pressure wash a cape when I visited him in 2003.
    Messy job but worked good.

19. Muthagoose

Muthagoose You do your thing, I'll do mine.....

I have a 3000 psi with a turbo tip at school.
    The mess is easy to contain we have a booth,venting and drain disposal in the classroom.
    Yet to do a demonstration and not see utter amazement in the students faces as they watch a bear hide blown off in minutes.
    BUT rain gear, rubber boots and face shield are required. 8) Small price to pay..

20. any one done a yote yet--did one with knife /beam today--was not sure the presser would be to much on it--also it was my 1st one didn't want to make any mistake--will it work on yotes??