1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Let's see some pictures

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by huntinsonovagun, Nov 20, 2006.

1. huntinsonovagun

huntinsonovagun New Member

I like looking at good habitat bases as much as I do looking at mounts. Let's see some pictures of your favorites.

2. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I don't know about favorite,but this is my most recent. [​IMG]

3. huntinsonovagun

I like it!! Let's see some more..............anyone?!?! ::)

4. not just the rocks look at the moss mold starting, very well done

5. sawtooth taxi

sawtooth taxi New Member

My latest. All the customers really like the natural reindeer moss I have been using. McKenzie rocks were made by my daughter in the bear picture. I like the rocks Jim. Wanna share what you used.

6. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

mk,those rocks were made with the traditional plaster-burlap method.First a frame of wood and chicken wire is made.Pieces of burlap are dipped in plaster-dextrine mixture and applied.After that dries,the texture is applied which is basically a mache made of plaster,dextrine and fiber to which I add tempera colors to get my base color.The texture is done with a sea sponge or wet terry cloth rag.Additional paint is spattered on out of a spray bottle-Lifetone water base.The small rocks are chipped out of scrap foam and textured and painted the same way.The lichens are made with acrylic tube colors mixed with a little plaster to thicken and dabbed on with a stiff bristled stencil brush.It's really quick to do once you get the hang of it.Here's a picture of a grizzly base.The stump was done using the same method. [​IMG]

7. huntinsonovagun

Jim- Where did you get your leaves/grasses?? That stump is IMPRESSIVE.

8. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

JimB, VERY impressive rock and I also like lichens you have made!! Did you paint them? I also like your wolverine..good looking mounts!

9. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

The grass,bushes etc. are artificial from a local craft store.Some dead leaves on the ground are real.It helps to have a variety on hand, then you can pick and chose and find things that work together.

10. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Another rock plus artificial plants. [​IMG]

11. elkman

elkman hunter I guided for 2006

awsome!!

12. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

thats what I'm missing. i need to work on my habitat. nice work.
    bob

13. hidvalltax

hidvalltax Dont travel faster than your guardian angel can go

My 1st fish

14. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Here's an Otter I done 3 years ago.

15. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    Hallo guys here is a photo of a European Marten and a Ptarmigan.Artifical snow are from WASCO.So much nice work on this site.Keep this thread going! :D

16. Roadkill

Roadkill Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the mountain goat. Small base, the animal is definatly the focal point and it is larger than the base so you are not drawn to the base instead of the animal.
    Good contrast as well.
    The grizzly bear is cool too. The base is a little large to me, and busy. I do not like objects that stand up in front of the animal to block the veiw, but is it just me.
    Nice job on all the others too. I like the Moniter Lizard too. and the wolverine. I will have to see if any of my photos are around here. Most of mine were on the computer and lost when it got a virus. Back up the photos on the computer to a cd or external drive. lesson learned.

17. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I love that marten and ptarmigan.Great composition and taxidermy work.Thanks for sharing that.

18. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Yeah, I love that piece too! It really have captured some motion in it! And the base work is absolutely fine...like all Red Stag's I've seen here!

19. possom hawk

possom hawk Luv the smell of black powder in the morning

Just finished these rocks for this bear yesterday.

20. cwilson

cwilson New Member

Deer recently did with natural wood