1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

relaxing salt dryed hides befor tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Dean Bright, Sep 7, 2006.

1. I sometimes have trouble getting my salt dried capes or hides to fully re hydrate before I put them in the pickle. I soak the skin in water, salt,Lysol and Dawn dish detergent. The skins are fleshed but not shaved before salting and drying. The ones that give me the most trouble are the ones that are over dry. Any suggestions for re hydrate these hides?
    Thanks for your help, Dean

2. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

good post. hmmmm ::)
    yes that is an age old problem with tanners. if they are dried too close to a flame. you might as well call the client and tell them you can not tan that sort a thing. your formula sounds good. sometimes the softer parts will be very relaxed and the harder part still hard. when i encounter this. i just pickel, then stir in some enzyme every other day till that puppy will hunt! ;D

3. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

Why all the extra crap? A good re hydration mix for salted capes is one pound of salt per gallon of water. If it's an "iffy" cape I will double the salt and add a bactericide but NOT Lysol. Takes up to 24hrs for them to be completely re hydrated.

4. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

They will finish rehydrating in acid. I wouldnt loose sleep over it.

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

relaxR - works everytime

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off the use of Lysol is going to cause you troubles sooner or later. What I mean is your hides are going to slip. You don't need and dawn also.

Two of the best products out there are Knobloch's Relaxer or Rittle's Ultra-Soft.

Now I use Ultra-soft and plain water and right now I'm into bears that are any where from 125lb to and over 500lbs. It takes about 24 hrs for them to fully rehydrate in this solution.

Your best bet is to get one of these products and use them. Place them in a bucket say around dinner time and make sure their covered in the water. Let the skins soak over night and check them in the morning. If their not ready youcan check them through out the day. The hardest is waiting for the necks to rehydrate. That will take the longest on any hide. Now if you have folded skins flesh to flesh and their stuck together as they rehydrate open them up to let the product work. Check the hides every two hours. Once their re hydrated pull them from the vat and rinse them off. From there place them in the pickle.

Now I never just throw an hide straight into a pickle to rehydrate. First off it takes days for this even to come close to working next you will never get the proper swelling of your hide to get you hides to shave the right way. Now I do know and heard that it does work in formic acid but it takes time like I said. I use Saftee-Acid and trust me it's not worth the time for me to do that. Do things the proper way and forget short cuts. You'll never have a problem.

7. Dean

Dean New Member

They won't relax in the pickling unless they have started to rehydrate at least part way. If you have hard spots in the hide (usually on folded areas) You need to try to work that area some so it soaks up also. Stiff hard spots left during reydration can lead to poor tanning (surface tan) and also lack of strech in those areas. Also hard to shave. It will come with experience to what you can and can't do as time goes on. I mainly use salt water with some bacteria killer in it. I sometimes use some hide relaxer if I have some on hand.

8. They will relax in pickle....after the top has been shaved off. But, by that time, you probably will have a few holes you did not want. Use cold water, 1/4 pound of salt to the gallon, and a relaxer such as Rehydrator AF from Knobloch's. There are other rehydrators on the market. Search around and try some out. This rehydration should never go over 12 hours, after which you will bate with an enzyme bath and pickle. Skipping the enzyme bath will give you a stiffer pickle.

9. Randy Mac

Randy Mac New Member

I found that if I rehydrate over night and find hard spots the next day, I run mine on a wire wheel and open it up and then put in a hard pickle it will swell up so you can shave it.

10. Tanner 101

Tanner 101 New Member

You can try beaming them and putting back in your salt solution sometimes you need to work the hide .I get that somtimes at the tannary Global tanning 30 Reminton blvd Ronkonkoma NY 11779 631-648-9470 .It works .

11. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

After 3 years,six months it ought to be re-hydrated...

12. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Take Franks advice!

Bruce Rittel

13. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    Watch out how much relax-r you use. I had one turn to a rubbery condition and it would not shrink back. Stick with the salt, water, and patience.

14. paul e

paul e New Member

Cyclone thats funny right there