1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ken Walker

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 9pointer, Mar 22, 2008.

1. 9pointer

9pointer Member

The Last two days I was very fortunate to spend with Ken Walker in Georges shop mounting my own personal lifesize black bear.Ken instructed me in modifying forms,Anatomy,setting eyes,using Bondo ears , habitat and much more.The guy is amazing,Everything he touches just falls in place.George says he has Magic in his hands and I have to agree.Everyone that has seen his work knows what Iam talking about.Not only is Ken and outstanding taxidermist he is a great teacher.Here is a guy who is a world champion,who has no secrets and enjoys teaching and sharing with others.I was very fortunate two have worked with him the last two days the things I learned I may have never picked up on my own.The U.T.A could not of found a better Representative of there principles.Thanks Ken

2. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Outstanding testimonial 9pointer. Good for you for taking the opportunity, I'm glad it was worth it. I bet it was cool hanging out in Georges shop too. ;) I bet you learned things just by sitting down for lunch with these two gentlemen!

3. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

heck just being there in person to hear the "roofisms" in person is worth the price of admission, LOL i wouldnt know what to do given the opportunity to train under a master such as ken walker, i wanna know how roof rates him coming into the shop, LOL

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Ken is an awesome man & one of the best assets to Taxidermy we have!!

You & I both know that it's only because George makes a good pot of coffee :) LMAO

5. visions of wildlife taxid

yep, if it takes coffee, he will NEVER be here, i dont drink it, LOL your gonna be hurtin when you come up before the worlds next year, guess you better bring a coffee pot, LMAO

6. Id like to get me some awesome hands on training like that!!!! Maybe in 09 being as I live 45 minutes from St. Charles and the 09 world show... Maybe just Maybe Ill get that lucky

7. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

Man did he sing for you?? He can do that too!! You should have heard him at our Mi. show what an entertainer!!!

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

"How did he get Walker there"??? Did you ever see Top Gun? Did you hear "Goose's" reply to the guy who asked him whose ass he kissed to get into Top Gun? "The list is long and distinguished", he said. Well, that's me. Puckered right up there.

I met Ken for the first time in Waco at an NTA Convention where we became fast friends. When he worked at the Smithsonian, he came here and gave a seminar that I wrote about in Breakthrough Magazine on mounting a grizzly on a form he built from flotation billets. Took me weeks to clean up all that foam (if you EVER see him work on foam with his Victorinox knife, you'll have the impression fo the Tasmanian Devil hitting a pillow factory). then he spent a week with me a few years back mounting a lifesized Stone Sheep jumping off the wall. When that customer shot a HUGE lioness in Africa, I knew that a male lion form would have to be modified and I knew I wasn't capable of the magic Ken could pull off. So after sucking up and begging, he came down and spent a week in my shop REMAKING a fighting lion form into a lioness that's going to interact with that leopard I mounted some time back. It will then be the centerpiece of game room of this customer (who incidentally is leaving for Nunivak next week and plans on bringing back a lifesized muskox to be mounted).

I honestly don't know where the week went. We spent four days fighting the lion and then the bear took up about a day and a half. The rest of the time I was cooking so Walker couldn't claim that I hadn't fed him. And sure he sings great, but he's an even better standup comedian and we laughed all week long. It was a bittersweet trip taking him to catch his plane this morning. I love that Canuck and he's a great and loyal friend. I hope to have him back sometime when we DON'T have to work and we can go striper fishing and perhaps chase one of our measly whitetails around the woods.

9. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

I want to spend a week with Ken Walker.. He has been formally invited to come hunt a big Axis buck with me.

10. visions of wildlife taxid

awsome george, its acquaintances who become freinds like that who leave lifelong lasting memorys that no money can buy, and he obviously has mad skills in this industry, i was ribbing at ya more than anything, i recall you talking about your freindship with him a while back. Like artwilde, Ken the invite is here, ;D wild turkeys, striper fishing, bass (smallies and largemouth) trout fishing, and whitetails is about all i have to offer though ;) heck i would send the same invite to any of a select group on here that consistantly amaze us with their unique and inspiring work, Gary Bruch, and Rick Krane on fish, Ken Walker, Dennis*, and Phil Soucy on Big Game, definitely are some on the guys i look to for awe inspiriing work among others, they constantly amaze me with their work, Russ

11. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Dang, George was in Waco and I never knew.
    I think when the NTA held it's convention here, we were just getting started and were too stupid to know that joining an association and going to conventions was the smart thing to do.

12. George

WHEW! Becky you scared me there. I was afraid you were going to say you were in kindergarten or something. LMAO.

I'll post some pictures of that lion and bear later on.

13. Yes, thank you Ken and George for having me. Sadly I only got to visit one day!!!

Its all George's fault....He's working me like a slave!! ::) ;)

14. George

OH!!! Sandy, did you expect ME to do some of that work I have here??? Get real and step to it. LMAO

15. 9pointer

9pointer Member

Mike B yes he is a singer and a comedian. It was a great time .Lisa I started my taxidermy career in Georges shop 15 years ago he also taught me alot and still to this day even though Iam in business for my self now and we only live 4 miles apart we still share new techniques with each other and help each other when ever we can.

16. I would like to thank George and Ken too :). Being new to the taxidermy world, I was very grateful that George asked me down to see Ken's work. I was only able to stay a short time, but he showed me how to do the clay work on the eyes, nose, and ears. Not only is Ken great at what he does, but he is a funny and interesting person to talk with. What he did with the form was amazing. For any of you that have not met George in person, he is truly a good guy! He is always willing to help, and he gave me a couple of things to practice on. If they turn out okay, maybe I'll post them ;D

Michele

17. George

OK Michele, that does it. You're cut off. No more freebees for you. You just aren't allowed to say nice things about me on this forum. After all, I do have my reputation to uphold. Such slanderous comments will ruin that. LMAO. Glad you could make it.

18. Say what you want George, you can't fool me ;D. I was glad to see you posted some pictures of the lioness. Can't wait to see her when she is finished!

Michele

19. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i will agree on what a great guys we have in ken and George. i haven't yet met George in person, but when i needed help, he was there helping me out and setting me straight. as for ken. i cant say enough good about him. he is indeed a hell of an artist, and he can make you laugh for hours, as he loves to talk and tell stories. by the way ken i have a picture of big foot for you. ken as stated above is a great singer too. he entertained us at the Michigan show for 3 years now.

20. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

You guys have no idea how glad I am to know Ken, he allows me the opportunity to visit anytime I want, always has a room and lots of food on hand for me, and always something neat to work on!

He's a first class individual all the way, I'm sooooooo glad that hes always just a short drive away!