1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo Ear vs Ear liner

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by TD, Mar 24, 2008.

1. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Hi all..............I want to share this with you concerning the ear liners and the Bondo ears.For many years I have used the bondo method on all my shoulder mounts.About 5 or 6 years ago I tried the ear liners just to see how they look and how long it would take. Well it took me a very long time to use them and they drummed.Of coarse, I knew the drumming was my fault for not using the proper glue.At that time I came to the conclusion that earliners would be unpractical in my commercial business, mainly because of the time frame.Well just recently' I got to talking to one of the neighboring Taxidermist in my area that I was fleshing and tanning capes for and what he told me, made me realize that maybe I was wrong.He told me that he had used the bondo method his self and started using the earliners and that they were faster to use.Well after he described the technique to me,I realized that I had done everything wrong on that first try.When he picked up his capes, he was nice enough to show me how to use them..............I want you to know that now I AM A BELIEVER.........They can save you allot of sculpturing work on the ear buts as well and look ten times better and definitely faster.Now it is still good to know the bondo method in case you get one of those buggered up ears..........Sorry for my lousy writing folks..........Goes to show that you never stop learning.....Even and Old poot like me..............Thanks.........Tom King

2. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Both are good methods, when they are done correctly. I think bondo ears are a lot faster.

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

...... and at least as good as earliners

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

1. Bondo ears are a great method if you're experienced in how to do it properly

2. It takes a L-O-N-G time to become experienced.

It's much easier to pull off earliners than it is to get Bondo to look as well.

5. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Both methodes work realy well.

I still like bondo w/ chop fiberglass. I think it is quicker. Now on big eared critters like Mule deer I tend to use ear linners

[​IMG]

6. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

Agree with Geo but at the same time if you do not have a proper fit with earliners no glue will hold them .

7. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

I would love to see a couple earliner tutorials! I was taught bondo and well, I'd like more options. Those fumes got to me, had a headache.

8. mcole

mcole New Member

On all of my commerical mounts I use bondo......

9. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I myself WAS a bondo guy. I just recently tried earliners on a competition deer and love them! They look ten times nicer than my old bondo ears. I will be working on getting comfortable enough to use them on my regular work. The bondo/earliner debate has been hashed over many times, and the earliner guys have swayed me to their side. After one set of earliners, I am no means an expert, but the extra effort in carefully removing the cartilage, is well worth it. I've never been able to get my bondo this thin! The head has been mounted 2 weeks and no drumming at all. Buckeye was used for glue. All my personal deer will be getting earliners from now on. ;)

10. buckstop

buckstop New Member

I tried using bondo. I didn't have good results. I had trouble forming the ears so they looked right. My last attempt looked like goat ears. I went back to using earliners on my last 25 heads. I am going to stick with them.

11. dp

dp New Member

I bondo and always have. I too would greatly appreciate anyone who would like to take the time to tutor us. Thanks

12. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I too was a bondo guy and I also thought it was faster.Removing the ear cartilage is very easy once you get the hang of it(that didn't take long).If you use the liners with the but attached then you just skipped all the clay sculpture work and they will always turn out symmetrical.The ear buts alone is a time saver.I'm very fast with the bondo and I can make pretty darned thin but I see now that the liner is faster and has more advantages.The cost might be a little more but well worth it.Don'tget me wrong.......I'm not knocking the Bondo or trying to start a debate. You Bondo guys give it a try, you may like it like I do.There is a good tutorial in the McKenzie catalogue on page 570..............Tom King

13. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Sometimes removing cartilage is easy, sometimes it is very difficult, and tears your ears to shreds. Then, you spend two hours patching up the ears, just to accept earliners. Sewing and patching leads to drumming, and can ruin the hopes of a crisp edge.

14. Steve-o

Steve-o Member

I've seen a lot more crappy, thick, drummed ears with bondo than with properly fitted liners. I've seen guys that use liners with bondo for an adhesive. They claim that the ears aren't too thick......yeah.....OK. If that's what they believe. Live deer have thin ears with crisp edges. They aren't an inch thick. I know some very experienced people that can pull off a great bondo ear, but the majority of average taxidermists could achieve a lot better ear with a liner and good adhesive in my opinion.

15. Not an expert on either one but I use the Bondo on all ears. I bought some capes that were dry taned and needed to use ear liners, removing the cartilage damaging the ear trimming the liner and of coarse drumming. Much more time consuming with the linner method, but than again I don't use them that often. I think it depends alot on how you were taught or how you got started. Everybody find a comfort level.

16. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    I tan most of my capes, so i pull the cartilage when i fleash and turn, it takes less than 5 min to remove cartilage. I tan and then mount. I simply sand the earliner with a sanding drum and a dremel tool, takes about 1 min per ear liner. I wipe them off with laquer thinner, put the glue on and slip it in the ear. I mount my deer, and then I taxi the skin on the ear liners and card them with screen wire and clips. I use buckeye supreme paste, and use Eppley pink ear liners on all my mounts. No drumming and a very nice thin durable ear. The buckeye supreme cleans off the hair with laquer thinner after it dries, or water when it's still wet. I get excellent looking ears every time. I use medium ear liners on all my whitetail, and I will cut them down slightly if need be for smaller deer. If they fit right, and you clean them properly they will not drum. I will take pics of the whole process and post them. Once I figured out the right way to remove ear cartilage, life was better.

17. ed150

ed150 deer city time

customer work i use bondo for competion i use ear liners,sometimes on big jobs i will use earliners,mtn. lions,and so on.both ways can be very good

18. Michael Shipman

Michael Shipman Killen Merriams in SD

I used to use bondo for years and then i went to earliners for a year or so. This year I went back to bondo. I found that using liners and getting used to the shape I can now do a better bondo ear. I used to bondo both ears at one time. Now I do only one at a time and I don't put the ear down until it's fully set. I still use liners on big ears like moose or kudu.

19. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

It is wise to know several methods. I just did a deer that had both ears severly damaged at the tannery. Not wanting to spend 2 hours patching them, and sewing them, I just carefully glued them to the liners, If I were to use bondo, I would have no choice but to repair the ears first.

20. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

I agree with George. It does take a LONG time and practice to get bondo ears right.
    I've used both methods with good success.
    I even had a judge ask me in one competition who's ear liners did I use. He really liked them. (they were bondo)
    For the most part, I use bondo for commercial work and cast my own ear liners for competition.