1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrapped Bodies

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jim B, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

George you probably had some traumatic experiences in the old days when you still had to wrap all your deer, bears and hump-backed whales. No wonder you hate wrapping so much. ;D

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Peter, I don't hate it at all. But I don't wash clothes in a kettle with a washboard, I no longer grind my own wheat and corn, I don't have a handle on my pump to get water, I don't butcher my own hogs or render fat, and I don't make soap any more either. Not that I hated doing them, they became outdated with better products available with less work. Neither have I forgotten them while others here have yet to learn them. Since Terry was picking my brain a while back for how I did it, I know that until recently, he wasn't the most well versed in the method.

Would you believe I actually own a car that has no clutch pedal, intermittent wipers, air conditioner,heater, power windows, a GPS, and a SOUND SYSTEM built right in??? LMAO

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

.................... i learn quick and adapt to better ways even faster - by the way whats wrong with lye soap or a clutch

4. snowhare

snowhare New Member

:D
    Well , there is a lot of talking about wrapping here , but are you trying over there , ore just complaning about how hard it is to do,

Here are two Dogs that are mounted with wrapped bodys and wrapped legs

EASY JOB!

5. George

Snowhare, your point is??? IF I was EVER tempted to do pets, I'd still carve them out of foam instead of wrapping. You can put so much more detail in any and i mean ANY foam manikin than you could ever hope for in a wrapped form. But as I said, foam is readily available here and I completely understand those nations without that commodity would use the wrapped body.

6. Snowhare, those dogs are INCREDIBLE :)

7. I was turned on to carving my own commercial forms after reading Ken Walkers Breakthrough article on carving a coyote. I'm planning on posting a carving tutorial of a silver fox in the next couple weeks.

8. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

wrapped/carved bodys done right make mammals have a flow to them . just put on (Bolero de Ravel) and take your time it makes taxidermy so much fun i can't believe we get payed to do it!

9. Squirrel man

Squirrel man New Member

Geore,

Well dir Sir , here in Europe whe have foam bodys for sale all kind from Mc Kenzy to Jonas [ they never fit to big to small], so that is not the problem, it is just that I MY SELF prefer wrapping the bodys and put a thic layer of hidepast over it to make all the details in .and it is called THE OLD SHOOL WAY , but you must remember in England durig the Victorian time they had the best Taxidermists in the world using this metod .so mabe that is why we still like it so mutch

Thank , hope now you know !

10. George

Squirrelman, I'm sorry but history does not bear your tail so well. In today's snap-together world of taxidermy, it it doesn't fit, you didn't measure correctly. I don't recall anyplace in our industry history where anyone from Europe nor the British Isles was a noted taxidermist. The very few examples and pictures I've seen is really quite pathetic by today's standards and could be done by rank beginners using J.W. Ellwoods methods. I know all too well what CAN be done with wrapped bodies and what cannot. Using a hide paste as a molding medium obviously works, but can be accomplished much more economically and without worry of mold and mildew on a detailed foam manikin. Still, in the hands of an artisan, as EUROPEANS DID FOR YEARS, Forms could be handcarved from wood and resulted in exceptional specimen. I and most others simply aren't that gifted. If you are, congratulations.