1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boiled Boar Skulls, Whats Next?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by boandlady, Mar 25, 2008.

1. I hope I have not made any major mistakes :eek:

I killed 5 wild boars on a couple of hunts this winter and decided to do european mounts on them. I skinned the skulls and fleshed them the best I could. I simmered them in a water/sal soda solution and they cleaned up pretty decent. This is where I am.

I have been reading on here about the grease content in these skulls and I can agree, that the water in the melting pot had about 1/2" of grease and fat on top.

Should I soak these skulls in a dawn/water solution? What would you have done differently in this process?

Thanks,

Ben

2. SilverSkin

SilverSkin SilverSkin GameWorks

OK, they have to soak in a degreaser for a long time. Boars are a nightmare!!! Whether your using ammonia, acetone or just dawn separate them into buckets pour in your degreaser and leave them. If your using ammonia / Dawn or just straight dawn try grabbing a fish tank heater and place into your buckets...speeds the process up a little. Watch the water color and change every day or two untill the water is clear. I use acetone on greasy animals like boars. Now; if your going to use acetone do some research on the forum. Acetone is extremley flammable and dangerous. Good Luck ;D

Dale Loescher likes this.

3. was going to mention the precautions of using acetone.. I am always worried about the flashpoint on that stuff... have had good success on it, the limited times used, but highly flammable items make me nervous...

are you keeping them seperate? if not try not to move them overly much... if any of the teeth come out, you will want to be able to align them back properly to the same skull...

psot some pics when you are done...

4. Thanks Guys. I boiled each one of them separately and a few teeth did fall out. I saved them and will replace when I am finished. I had no idea about needing to degrease them until I read the posts on here. I will put them into the degreaser tonight. I will probably try to stick with the water/dawn solution until I know it is/isn't working.

Thank you guys for the quick responses.

Ben

5. no worries... depending on the species, the amount of degreasing varies... raccoons, bears and boars are amongst the worst.. have not had a bear yet, but their reputation precedes them....

6. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

I am whitening a boar right now, and I macerated it. This REALLY helped with the grease factor.

Degreased in dawn/water......for ever. Then into acetone for 10-14 days. Back out and then into a dawn/water/peroxide bath. For 3 days. Took out rinsed really good, then whitened with 27%. Shines like a champ.

7. JB, I would like to see a couple of pictures of that one. I have done a couple of whitetails in the past, but I had no idea what I had gotten myself into when I started on these boar skulls. They are in the degreaser now and I will change the water daily until I think they are grease free. If it doesn't work, I will be asking for a few helpful tips ;D

I have severely underestimated the amount of patience involved in this process. I give you guys a lot of credit. Thanks again for all of the helpful tips.

Ben

8. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

I am taking the bottom jaw out of whitening tomorrow evening, then let dry for 2 days, then gluing teeth back in. Remind me by pm or something and I will post the pic. I take pics of all of my stuff, but may not remember to post on here. Thanks!