1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

please help what causes hair to do this

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Shootem Up Taxidermy, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Shootem Up Taxidermy

Shootem Up Taxidermy Life is to short to live in the past

dont understand what im doing wrong
    its like the hairs falling out in clumps with a thin layer of skin hooked to it please help
    thanks joey

2. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

It is called slippage. It is usually caused by a poorly handled skin. There are other causes according to Glen Conley but I am most aware of bacteria causing it and the first stages of rot. Birds and fish can have slippage also.

Todd B

3. It slipped. Chances are the hide is lost. If it is only one spot you could try to cut the effected area out and sew it up....doesnt look good though.

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

To determine what you may be doing wrong you need to tell us what you are doing.

Tell us more about the hide. How was it prepared, preserved and handled?

5. Shootem Up Taxidermy

ok the customer brings the deer to me
    i take it off the skull
    roll it up freeze it
    when ready thaw it flesh it and turn it
    salt it
    next day shake it real good and salt agian
    next day put it in a saftee acid pickel for 3 days
    drain it for and hour or so neutalize it for 20 min
    put it in the Lutan F
    take it out drain it for an hour or so roll it up freeze it till im ready to mount
    thats what im doing
    let me know what im doing wrong please thanks joey

6. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I would say the problem is "rolling" it and freezing. It takes a long time for the middle to freeze when rolled up. I like to skin and then salt. That way I omit the freezing and thawing step.

Todd B

7. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    Not trying to say any one is wrong, but the hide would had to have been close to rotten already for it to spoil in the freezer because it was rolled up. Do you agitate or move your hides around in the pickle? do you check the PH of the pickle daily? Do you put anything on the hide to keep it submerged while in the pickle, if so what? I would say your pickle is most likely the problem. What kind of salt do you use to salt with? do you remove ALL meat from the cape first? Where did the hair fall out on the cape?

8. Shootem Up Taxidermy

oo so as soon as i get it off the skull go ahed and turn and salt it

9. Shootem Up Taxidermy

i do all that except weight the hides down
    and the salt is fine grain non iodized
    i take all the meat off the cape when i thaw it and turn it then salt it
    and the hair slipped out the brisket and shoulder

10. laci

laci New Member

You need to skin ,salt and tan. Also dont roll it up to freeze. But you shouldnt freeze it til after its tanned anyway. Every time you freeze and let it thaw some of the skin thaws before the rest and it sits there for hours til the rest of the skin is thawed. That give bacteria a good amount of time to grow. Specialy if you are in a heated shop. You should also spray stop rot on the skin when you get it as it thaws and while you skin.

11. Ivey

Ivey Ravenwood Wildlife Studios

Slippage is the problem. It is caused by bacteria growing, which causes the hair to fall out. YOU may not have done anything wrong- sometimes the customer handles his own hide incorrectly, often without knowing he's doing it. If the hide was left out while they hunted, if it got to warm before they brought it to you...just remember that it may not be your mistake, okay? My mentor, who has been in Taxidermy for over 50 years, rolls up and freezes his hides just like you do- never had a slip problem that was caused by rolling up a deer hide unless it was already bad, and unless the hide STINKS, there is often not much of a way to tell of potential slip. Good luck to you! Ivey

12. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    If you don't weight it down some parts can stay out of the pickle and bacteria can grow. Also I have seen slippage from some one dragging a deer on the shoulder and damaging the hair and epidermis. I started using Krowtann and all those problems went away.

13. laci

laci New Member

Over neutralizing is a possability also.

14. Shootem Up Taxidermy

i also heard that to matt
    thanks all
    i got to much work to do to be messing with tanning i guess ill just send my stuff to a tannery agian thanks guys

15. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Considering your last post about sending them to a tannery I'll assume you've had no problems with those capes. I will also make the assumption that you are skinning, fleshing and salting sufficiently for if you weren't you'd have problems with the tannery capes as well.

Is this your first attempt at bucket tanning?
    Did you use any borax when skinning or fleshing?

Did you salt the hide until dry?
    Did you wash the cape? With what?
    Did you re-hydrate before the pickle, if so how? and for how long?
    What container did you use? Metal or plastic?
    Did you check the pH of the pickle? How often.
    Did you stir the solution daily?
    Describe your neutralization process. What chemicals? Did you test the pH?
    Describe your lutan solution.

The potential for slip lies anywhere in these steps. Perhaps we can find where it went awry...

I'll be down your way for spring gobbler BTW...