1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer mounts using dry preservative

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by deerstuffer, Mar 26, 2008.

1. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

DP is for some a money and time saver, helps you cut corners to make a larger profit. I think the proof is in the work or the end result. Tanning of hides has been around for as long as man, ill stick with it. What was used in all the natural history collections like the Smithsonian or Carnegie ?
    DP, foam manikins, premixed colors of paint, has turned a artform into a hobby or craft that requires vary little skill or talent anymore.
    Like the " Last Supper" the skill needed to do that, a master a Pro. Then you have a paint by numbers "kit" looks good to most, your so...… good and talented said grandma when you gave it to her for her B Day.
    Do they plug or patch tiers they use in NASCAR, bet Bubba could get it dun. I plug and patch my tiers on my rider mower and would only go it as an emergency repair on a car.
    DP a temporary fix to a permanent problem (slippage, bugs and rot).

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

[​IMG]

Kerby Ross and rogerswildlife like this.

3. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

UNBELIEVABLE
    People can make you wonder.

4. DeerStuffer,

I consider myself an extreme novice Taxidermist, even though I have been at it almost 10 years now. When first entering this art form, I attended the Pocono Institute of Taxidermy in White Haven, PA. This school is owned and operated by Bill Allen, who in my area is known as a master taxidermist with over 45 years in the business. While attending his 90 day taxidermy course, there were several instances where we used Dry Preserve and others were we used tanned hides. Even after completing the course, I knew that I would have to continue to update the techniques I was taught in order to give my clientele the best mount possible. What you have to remember when using such "primitive" techniques is "The Bitterness of poor work, lasts longer than the happiness of a cheap price."

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Old Fart, I know you hate DP HOWEVER, some of the things you "know" simply aren't true. That application of DO MAY be topical in application but the implications that they stay that way are patently untrue. Do you use salt or some herbal rub on your steaks? Perhaps barbecue sauce? Are you implying that the taste if those dont permeate the meat? What about cucumber pickles? They are soaked in alum and if the alum didnt permeate them, your pickles would rot. When you DP a hide, anyone who uses the method will tell you that after 1-3 days you should not touch the mount or the hair will slip and fall out in globs. That's because of the chemical process of osmosis. That hide will forever violently react with latex based glues. It will repel insects forever.

6. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Boy , I knew this was going to open up a can of worms! Anytime you mention Dry Preservative vs tanning the fight is on! The only thing I will add here especially since I am only in my 5th year of business is " Listen to George!" That and I have done both and prefer dry preservative! Many customers come into my shop and compliment my work when compared to another local that has been in the business for 40+ years. I am meticulous in cape prep though especially in the eye and nose area. I do use hide paste and its from the formula on the beginners tutorial! Using the Dynamite 111 Clay mixed with a good Dry hide paste like Coombs. Also I am never satisfied with my work always striving to do better. Every once in awhile I get in a request that has to be tanned or one brought in already tanned and I don't think one looks any better. I do use what George says is a cut above and thats the Bestmade dry preservatve but coombs also has a very good one that smells and seems to be comparable. I do think that hide paste will definitely help with your muscle definition and I seldom have to use neck foam for muscle detail using the hide paste formula mentioned above. It holds that good and will definitely save you money! Hope this helps.