1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear hunt question..stop rot?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DevinCamPA, Mar 26, 2008.

1. big.elk.hunter

big.elk.hunter Member

Ok, another newby here with some more dumb questions!! I am just getting started with this taxidermy stuff (except for a moose I shot about 5 years ago). I have been reading a lot of info on this site, and the more I read, the more I realize that I have a lot to learn!!
    I have four WT hides that I plan to mount in the neer future. I have had them all in the freezer since being killed and skined. except for about two weeks ago I took them out to start working on (fleshing, splitting, tanning etc.) as soon as they were thawed I salted thoroughly (twice-two days), then put one in pickle for fleshing, and returned the other three to the freezer until I had more time to work on them. the one in the picke has since had the ears, lips, and eyes turned, and is still in the pickle waiting to be "thinned". the tree in the freezer still need to have the ears, lips and eyes turned. I know that I probably should have done them when they were out and thawed before! but as I have a full time job and family, time didn't allow.
    I guess my qustion(s) for you all are....at this point, what steps should I take to help eliminate the possiblilties of ruining the capes? I have a fleshing machine now, and am getting it set up so I can finish the hide in the pickle and get it tanned(lutan F), then mounted.
    I am now realizing that I probably should not have taken the other three capes out to thaw if I was not ready to finish them. but I did, so would it be beneficial to get some stop rot to use on them when I do decide to re-thaw them? what other steps could you reccomend? thanks!!

2. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

As a beginner, I used to have problems with hair slippage behind the ears of whitetail. I think it was because I took too much time during the skinning and fleshing process - wanted to be thorough and careful. I started using stop rot during the skinning process - brushing it on as I went and paying special attention to the ear area. I think the stuff is great! It has seemed to help. Of course I have gotten a little quicker with the whole process which may have helped as well, but things happen to slow you down all the time. I keep Stop Rot around at all times anymore. Someone posted earlier that it was a "cheap insurance". That about sums it up in my book. Great stuff!

3. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I am leaving and headed back to Alaska for 10 days, tickets are booked, all I need to do is wait until May 24th... seems as if the time has slowed way down now.... I will be going on a do it yourself bear hunt from the 26th- UTC.. somewhere in their. I will be no where near people, stores and will have a days travel by boat to get to where I am going. All I am bringing with to care for the meat and hide is. 50lb bag of salt, knife, sharpener, calipers, pen/paper, scalpel (25 blades), Ulu knife and a 2x6 thats about 5 ' long and a bunch of game bags...

4. I've never used stop rot before, but after reading a bunch of posts on this site, I plan to start. Does it go on both sides of the hide? (hair, as well as skinned) Thanks.

5. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I use it on the hair side of the ears, it seems to make turning them easier. In the ear area, I use it on both sides.

6. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Hudson:

I just purchased the tickets yesterday.. dam is it expensive for 5 to fly form Germany back to Alaska. I think I could buy a small plane and fly myself for the price we paid. As for all the stuff, I do all my hunts on a do it your self. I did fly in one time on a mt. goat hunt and chartered a cessna 207 I think it was. No problem, I even brought a case of beer, 50 lbs of salt, a case or MRE's and all the other stuff and a inflatable raft and floated out to the road system and then called the wife and she came and got me. I will be pulling a boat from anchorage to somewhere, AK and going from their.

The salt is essential, usually we shoot one the first evening then I play guide with my family the next 2-3 days until they get theirs. A good clean skinning job, fleshing and salt rubbed in and then rolled up and put in a game bag is what works for me. it is always raining, and usually nasty weather for the 4 days we go every year. I have had no problems with anything slipping, or nothing. I will be bow hunting and my daughters and wife will be using a 30-06 if all goes as planned we should get 4.

7. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I have never used a guide but if I did and one told me to leave the salt I wold find a new guide. If your out their for a week or so and you get something inthe beginning then you are basically babysitting your trophie. A quick flesh, turn, thin and liberal amounts of salt and rolling it up and putting in a cheese cloth style gamebag and hanging in a tree will let your mind rest easy and allow you to persue more animals or await pick up. The Talkeetna's are a pretty range. I cant wait to get back to Ak... I think I have 46 days and counting.LOL