1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Neat taxidermy video

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by Mink, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Mink

Mink New Member

Found this today on Youtube while I was looking for something else, and thought I'd share it here. It's about the taxidermy at the Smitsonian museum, with Paul Rhymer (who I've actually talked to before!). And, I've also been to the Smithsonian, and seen alot of those mounts that they showed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_-wOZAeuvI

2. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Good video. I saw John Matthews and Ken Walker In the video creating some real masterpieces.

3. Very Cool, I saw Jean Roll in there too, that whole gang must have had a great time down there working on that project.

4. Great video, saw Jean Roll working on the orangutan form with Ken. Still not caring much for the habitatless sterile environment the mounts are now presented in. The new mounts do look wonderful, though.
    Thanks for posting this Mink.

Kind regards,
    Mary

5. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Sweet video, Thanks for sharing!

6. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

Awesome! Thanks for sharing...

7. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I sent a few old photos down to Washington about a year ago to be used in the historic photos - It is nice to see the finished product.

8. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Very nice! Paul is such a great spokesman for the taxidermy industry. I put it on the home page of www.taxidermy.net as the new featured video.

9. Mink

Mink New Member

Very cool...I was surprised to see it on the home page this morning! I'm glad to have found that video to share with you all, even though I wasn't even looking for it in the first place! :)

10. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

awesome video

11. Just watched the video on the home page..WOW! Taxidermy truly is amazing,especially in the hands of a master. Loved seeing all the molds, the wood wool body wrapping, and the foam carving.

12. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

I liked the video. Do any of you have like a stuffed animal wildlife museum or display like the video in your city or near you. While I lived in Kalispell, Montana there was this taxidermist who had his own museum and his name Was Tony Malone I believe. You had to pay to get in to see it, but it was worth it. Some of you may be able to do the same if you already haven't. Lots of people will never see all the things you people stuff or even know what the animal is until they go to a place like in this video.

Steve

13. elkevo, I'm still around!! Sold the museum and now I just do taxidermy as a hobby. Tony

14. Mink - GREAT VIDEO! :) Thank you for sharing! What a cool find. :) I loved it!

Steve - I live a ten minute walk away from the Harvard Museum of Natural History (Or the Harvard Musuem of Comparative Zoology, goes by either name)... and I love it. Its a huge reason why I am in love with taxidermy. I remember visiting it as a child, it's just a great place to bring kids (I brought my niece there last summer and she had a great time). Ahh.. I'd love to work for a place like that. I remember their giraffe, and the buffalo, and the lions... and the mice and squirrels and monkeys and bats! Just all sorts of great taxidermy stuff and skeletons and insects and fossils (I'll never forget Kronosaurus or the Giant Sloth skeleton). :) I work for Harvard part time so I have my ID that gets me in for free, Ive used it a bunch but I still dont think nearly enough... I just love that building.

15. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

Wow! Tony Malone; I found you. I met you once, but of course that was very long ago back in the early 1990's while I lived in Kalispell, Montana. You sure had a nice place there Tony, that museum. Glad to see you here. Where are you now ? Are you still in that same area ? I was around when we had that awful winter of 1996/97 and the deer herds were about wiped out in western Montana. Hope they are coming back strong again Tony. Good to know you are still active in what you do. I will get back to Montana someday again.

Allistair; Glad to hear about how close you get to be for the Harvard Museum, that must be like heaven. There must
    be something on the internet about that, Right?

Steve

16. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

TMALONE; there use to be aTaxidermist in Columbia Falls by the name of Mike and he had that summer go cart track and play area outside with the giant rabbit etc. Is that place still around ? I was at his place once when the baseball pitcher, Steve Howe came by with like a truckload of whitetail deer and antelope for this Mike to mount and I have heard the baseball pitcher died like in Texas in a car wreck, he was always high on his drugs and in baseball of course.
    Anyway, I sure miss your shop Tony. I think I have some pictures somewheres around in my storage, still packed since I left Montana, because I am coming back again. Had to leave to go take care of Mom & Dad.

Steve

17. Mink

Mink New Member

Here's another interesting one I found. I'd actually seen this segment on TV a while ago, I'm sure some others here have too. But if you missed this one, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7hVoKMc86U