1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cornfield habitat

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by LOCKED-UP, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Hey All,

Just started this new base idea and would like to post pics and "How to's" as I go. I am only able to work on things about 1 hr. a day so check back often to see how it progresses.. There will be one taller stalk in the center back of the base to attach a landing goose and then a few broken stalks just below it where he is "landing" of course there will be more leaves, husks, ears, cobs, rocks, etc. but just getting started. What I did was layout my rows and mark them on the 3" blue foam insulation. then as everyone knows that the rows are higher and the part between the rows is always lower. For this i took a torch and lightly heated the foam in between where i wanted my corn rows. this sank the foam in given the look that the rows were higher than in between. Then I baked some dirt bone dry and put it in a food processer to make it into a powder. Then, I took clay colored spray paint and sprayed it very thick onto the foam, used a screen wire colander from the kitchen to sprinkle the wet paint with the dry powder. Let this setup and then added another coat in the same way. In person looks so much better than the pic. The corn stalks i just uprooted and used shop scissors to cut all the roots even on bottom and fixed then to the foam with the metal stakes from political signs into the foam and up into the stalk. Of course Gorilla Glue!!! I will post more as time permits my work.

Thanks,

John

2. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

I like it!
    I spry my corn stalks with sealer cause they seem to get brittle and split real easy as they get old and dry, gives them kind of a tougher second skin.

3. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

That dirt looks really cool.I look forward to seeing more.

4. Kenny

Kenny New Member

looks good. Keep posting as you progress.

5. Update: I have since cut a channel on the bottom of the base from front to back to install a 2x3. After I located where I wanted my goose to be mounted at, I drilled through the foam base and through the 2x3. Then I used a wheel grinder to cut a slot in the bottom of the 2x3. I took an electric fence post (the ones about the size of a pencil) and put a 3” 90 degree bend in the end. I then threaded the post up through the bottom placing the 3” 90 into the slot in the bottom of the 2x3. I then screwed drywall screws on both sides of the slot against the post to securely hold it in place. Then I used a torch to heat the post at the height above the base that I wanted my goose. Then using to channel locking pliers I bent it to the angle that I wanted my goose, when it gets done drying on another stand. Now the only thing left for the base is to place the “loose and cut” stalks, cobs, and leaves, that are typical in a cornfield. If anyone has any ideas on securing these to the base PLEASE let me know. It is driving me nuts that I can’t figure out how to secure them, as I don’t want to “throw em in” and hope they stay put. Then the last step is to place a small frame on the front side of the base to place the guy’s picture in as this is his first ever goose, a 16 pounder !!! Until next time keep up the good work everybody….

Thanks
    John

6. Not much work since last post but wanted to show you how it looks with the "loose" stuff in place. I think I still need 1 more standing stalk in the middle row but will need to wait until goose is there to see how tall it should be or maybe a broken one will look good there? Right now the loose stuff is just laying in there, but the "dirt" is only 1/8" thick so pressing it down into the dirt is not an option, so I think I am going to try to pin the stuff in place into the foam base....

Let me know if you have any suggestions....

Thanks
    John

7. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I sometimes anchor stuff like that with a wad of Jaw Juice where it contacts the base of another piece.Just apply the stuff where it won't be seen or throw a little dirt on any jaw Juice that shows.

8. Hey there again all, sorry it took so so long to post up again, but anyway here is the finished product minus the picture frame on the front of the base. Anyfeed back would be great, but just keep in mind that this is my third mount ever. I know it is not comp. quality but I am proud of it and so was the guy who's goose it was.....Let me know.

John

9. Did you say a "foam base"? If I were pouring my own foam-[I use a lot of this stuff]-I would have colored 1 part of my foam with tempra paint(for a solid base color under the topsoil), mixed it 'til it was starting to kick, and then "planted" my stalks in it. As the foam is rising enough to start covering the roots, I dump the topsoil around the base of the stalks & press down lightly to retard the rise of the foam. After repeating this until I fill in my base as needed,I dump off the loose topsoil. Let this cure for about 30 mins.
    At this point you can see where the topsoil didn't stick. Lightly sand any slick looking spots. Then mix Elmer's Glue & water 50/50 and paint it in over the whole topsoil area-taking care around the roots of the stalks not to get any up higher than needed. This is when I add any slightly buried fronds, leaves, or stalks and cover the ends of these to give it an "in the ground" look.Take your time with the painting. You want it to be a thin/light/full coverage of glue/water mix...try to avoid any puddles, as these will make wet-looking spots on the "ground". Next, while the whole base is still wet, completely cover the base with your topsoil-use more than you think you'll need, it'll avoid those pesky touch-ups later. Let it stand overnite. The next day gently dump the loose topsoil off your base by turning it all the way over. Let it stand about another hour to completely dry. ............Then you're ready to install your mount and finish adding the top layer of any foilage you might want on it. Hope this helps, Susan.

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Nice job LOCKED-UP. I am going to be doing a cornfield scene in a week and I think I'll do it the same way.
    Thanks for sharing the idea.