1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Brown Trout Essay

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Rick Krane, Nov 20, 2006.

1. jlester

jlester New Member

Mr. Krane I was wondering what you mean by powder pigments and where to get them. I have never heard of this. How much are your classes? thanks JL

2. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey JL!

Hey JL!

Thanks for the nice words and your interest in workshops I offer. As far as the powders I use a lot of different paint pigments. I like Pearl EX brands and Elbe-Newberg powders but it really doesn't matter what brands you use as my students find out. I use any things from powders to pencils and every thing in between! There is a 1000 different ways to achieve what your looking for. I like too say there is no magic bullet to any of it juts out of the box thinking and having fun. I like to think you could use Coffey grounds if you wanted to( that would be cool!)! Color is the end result of what you see how it gets there and in what form now that fun is up to you!

My Classes are free its my cooking that cost all the money! LOL!!! Kidding! if you are interested drop me a email and I will be glad to send you out a information packet.

My Best!

Rick Krane

3. Joe Z.

Joe Z. New Member

Nick, that is a great looking fish! I'll bet that fish boot camp was better than the other boot camp. I want to say that I am proud of you and the other troops that are fighting for our country. I hope that you don't have to go back. With the fish background that you got going keep us posted on any other fish that you do. Rick looks like the shop is still all in order those pictures sure bring back memories of my trip to fish boot camp. And thanks for the brown paint scheme. It helps to refresh my mind and notes I took when I was there. Nick if there is anything you need please feel free to post I'm sure there are alot of great people on here that would help besides me. Take care Joe Z.

4. jlester

jlester New Member

Oh yea the shop looks like it is new. I want to get the info on your classes Mr Krane after the holidays. I guess since I had bypass surgery and lost 250 lbs that my class cost will be almost free! I only eat 500 calories a day. I want to learn how to mold the fish and finish it. Thanks for your help

5. Rick Krane

Hey JL!

Give a call on Monday or fire me an email and we can talk about your goals and what I can do for you to help you out with your taxidermy goals!

Thank you again one and all for the kind words! Nick as like so many other folks I have the opportunity to work with have a drive in them to do better work then what they see day to day. I like this drive and it makes it so much fun to teach for sure!

My Best!

Rick krane

6. Crittercoroner

Crittercoroner DUDE, your uselessness is epic!

nj
    Great job Nick.

Rick, your starting to make we want to do fish again. If I could only find someone to show me how to use an airbrush correctly I'd be able to paint this reproduction lm bass I bought from TERF.

Dave

7. Rick Krane

Hey Dave!

If the president of the GSTA wants to learn how to paint a Bass or use his dusting aging UN-used airbrush ( LOL) all he needs to do is come on out here and hang out for a day or 2. So Dave you are always welcome with or with out the family!

I hope every one had a great holiday!

My Best!

Rick Krane

8. j.mik.

j.mik. Member

rick: i'm newer to the forum and have a couple questions for you and nick on that terrific brown trout tutorial. on the photo labeled "a little stick work"... what is the stick? when you refer to powdered paints and pigments- how are they applied (brush? finger?) do you guys spray a little clear first to make a tacky surface for the powders? and the charcoal... is that a stick also, or in some other form? and about the trout itself... it looked like it had some good color right from the start. were the photos right from the beginning of the paint job, or after some color was already on? do you put any color on your forms or hand carved bodies prior to mounting the skins? great work here and in breakthrough! fish guys everywhere gotta love it. john

9. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

Thanks for posting this! So, do you think painting patterns and studying fish by drawing would help out a lot? I do not have the resources for mounting or painting a fish just yet, but I have simple acrylics and prisma pencils.

10. RokSAN

RokSAN New Member

Tall me how can i do that, that will be color of skin of the fish just like that. After drying?