1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#26

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#26

Greetings from the Vanderbilt Museum in Center Port Long Island New York also know as the home of the largest piece of taxidermy in the world! The gang is all here once again and we have added a few more great folks to help out on the “Big Fish” We are in the final stages of the completion of this long and tedious project. Months of brainstorming and preparation have gone in this restoration of the world largest piece of Taxidermy. The reality once and almost was that this historic giant was headed for a land fill but thought the vision and the persistence of a wonderful curator and the relentless hard work and creativity motivated by talent this giant is nearing completion and a glorious place as a well desired center piece for this museum!

WOW what a great week we all shared in this past week in fish pictures! There was some really inspirational fish work last week!!! 2800 plus views once again this past week now that is nothing short of outstanding support to intrest of all who love great fish work!!!! I hope you all had a great week my friends and family of Fishheads!!! Lets start off with some Big time thanks to our great contributors this past week!

Great work last week by Terry Weick, Paul Czarnecki, Jeff (MT Man), Randal R. Waites, Josh Knuth, William Hansen, Russ, Just Fish, Ken B, Don Patton, Michael Cole, Scrubby, Bdahyrt, Monty Artrip, Terry Fuller, Marc, Doug Petrousek, Hobo, and MK !!!!!!

Super work and Big thanks for sharing and aspiring all of us!

From beginner's to the best in the world we all join in every week in a critique free and hassle free string with nothing more then great artist and inspiring fish taxidermist and carves get together to share with one another their praise and inspiration of good will and friendship to one another.

This week I am proud to show you some of the latest progress on the Vanderbilt Whale Shark project. Here are a few photos of this weeks work here in NY. I hope you enjoy the week!
    So with out further ado lets get week #26 under way.

So here we go and here is to a great week in fish pictures!!!! #26! Enjoy!

Uncle Dave I hope your wrist gets better! Call me if you need some help my freind!

My Best!
    Your friend
    Rick Krane

Morning Meeting John and Dave
    [​IMG]
    George going over techniques with Jim and Dave
    [​IMG]
    Tom making Specail Haulks
    [​IMG]
    George, Jim and John cleaning ready for paste
    [​IMG]
    George and I talk about shape and Balance
    [​IMG]
    Dave checking the Back section
    [​IMG]
    Jim, George and tom ready to air out the fish for prep
    [​IMG]
    Rolling out the Skin paste
    [​IMG]
    George and John Working the new Skin in Palce
    [​IMG]
    John and I working outnthe wrinkles
    [​IMG]
    Jim working on the Skin
    [​IMG]
    Jim and John checking the skin
    [​IMG]
    Jim finshing the body
    [​IMG]

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Very nice!!! It looks like the shark is coming along rather nicely!!! I have a crappie to post, but have to resize it first. I am having some issues, but hopefully I can get it done tomarrow. Rick, looks like youve been busy!! I will be chatting with you next week!!!

3. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Yes Jimmy very Busy this week. The Shark is looking Great! Almost there!!!! Talk to you this week!
    Rick

4. finished this up this week.. its a 15.5lb walleye on a rock base..

5. also finished up a 54" paddlefish-spoonbill skin mount..
    i molded the head in 4 pieces..

6. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    Thanks Rick for the update, Ive been waiting to see this awesome project!

Fishstuffer NICE walleye and paddle, man are some crazy fish!

7. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Great looking project Rick...looks like fun ;D

Spot on fishstuffer. They both look great. Love the paddle.

Skin mount wholesale LMB ( Wisconsin Fish )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lake Erie smallmouth repro ( ARP ) Head came in a little " differant", but I think the finished piece looks good.

[​IMG]

8. Shown together, the "before and after" pictures of that shark will be awesome to see and quite the contrast I'm sure. What an interesting project to be part of. It looks great so far.
    Arron, that Large mouth is just how they look out of my secret lk. here in WI.....LOL!

9. [​IMG]

Total remount, on a almost 17 LMB. For thsoe who said it cant be done, here proof you are wrong. I posted this before.

The skin was soaked and softened using Dawn and the tub in the spare bathroom. after it softened enough to get it from the EPS bead foam body, I carved a new body from urethane foam.

The gill covers never relaxed but the rest of the fish did.

I have a 13lb brown trout I am going to try this will later in the year, I caught the brown back in 1978 and did the mount which aint to good these days. I even cast a latex head back in the day!

10. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Rick, Almost can't imagine the time and effort for that "bluegill". Wow.

Fishstuffer, Beautiful Walleye and Paddle fish.

Aaron, As usual, excellent work on the large and smallmouth.

John, Nice re-do on that bass.

Here's my first Walleye Repro:

11. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Head shot:

12. coastallabs60

coastallabs60 New Member

VA
    Impressive work regarding the Whale Shark. I hope to see this in an article. Looking forward to the painted fish.
    Roger Haus

13. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Brian W, forgive the question but did that fish come with the fins installed? It looks to me like the pectoral fins are on upside down--like they got reversed.
    Awesome look to the eye!

14. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Aaron
    Very nice large mouth

15. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Some cool fish already, everyone. The paddlefish is very fantastic. Brian, I love to see your work. The detail on the walleye is awesome and does not look a first.

16. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Pretty hard to follow up after dougp posts crappie, but here is the last customer mount I had for the 07' season. Black Crappie, 16". The "blurry" look along the back and into the tail are shimmers that the camera apparently didn't care for!!

17. [​IMG]

Striper from a few years back.

18. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

here's a "mixing bowl" 'gill hybrid repro we molded and cast in house for a customer. I'll try and get a pic where the colors aren't all washed out. Great fish everyone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. FENCEROW

FENCEROW Member

first post here kinda intimidating first arp bluegill

20. WOW Fishstuffer and Brian really nailed down the 'EYES ,very realistic colors and spotting ,Great Bass AAron,John the Largemouth looks like it was just caught.I can't wait to post my first muskie in a couple weeks.Great inspiration by all KD