1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please help with pheasant wiring

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by rich8621, Nov 21, 2006.

1. rich8621

rich8621 New Member

I have been attempting to wire a ringneck pheasant. I have been wiring and rewiring, and rewiring and I cannot get it to look even close to decent. I am struggling on the wire locations. I am on my second bird (I ruined the first during the wiring process) and on the last leg of this mannequin. I attached a picture of what I am trying to accomplish (I got it from Pete's taxidermy website...nice mount Pete), and pictures of the mannequin. What I was hoping for is if somebody could "X" where I should approximately place the wires and where they should run through the mannequin for this mount. I also do not understand how to wire the tail. It kept poking through the tail feathers and they just kinda hung there looking terrible.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. daniel

daniel New Member

HI YOU SHOULD OF TAKEN MEASUREMENT,S OFF THE CARCASS MARKING THE WING POINT,S LEG,S ETC I DONT THROW THE BODY AWAY UNTILL IVE MADE ANOTHER MARKING WING POINT,S LEG,S ETC THE WIRE IN THE WING SHOULD RUN ALONG THE BONE IN THE WING AND OUT THROUGH THE WRIST ATTACHED IN AT LEAST 2 PLACE,S ALONG THE WAY AFTER SECURING THE WIRE TO THE BONE AND REPLACEING REMOVED TISSUE ETC AND LEAVEING ENOUGH EXCESS WIRE TO PASS THROUGH THE BODY AND BACK THEN CRIMPING IF YOU HAD MARKED THE WING POINT,S OFF THE ORIGANAL CARCASS YOU WOULD OF HAD NOT MUCH OF A PROBLEM KNOWING WHERE TO START PUSHING THE WING WIRE THROUGH THE BODY NEXT TIME YOU WILL :) :) AS FOR THE LEG,S YOU USE A HEAVIER WIRE THAN FOR THE WING,S UP THROUGH THE SOLE OF THE FOOT UP THE BACK OF IT,S LEG SLOWLY UP INTO THE SKIN ALONG THE BONE WHICH YOU HAVE CLEANED AFTER TAKING NOTE,S OF WHAT THE LEG LOOKED LIKE SECURE THE WIRE NOT THAT TIGHT YOU CANT MOVE IT BACK AND FORTH A LITTLE THE SAME GOE,S FOR THE WING NOT TOO TIGHT THAT YOU CANT MOVE IT THEN REPLACE REMOVED TISSUE AND LEAVING EXCESS WIRE TO GO THROUGH THE BODY AT THE LEG POINT,S PELVIS THAT YOU SHOULD OF MARKED AND MEASURED FROM THE CARCASS REMEMBER TO USE LIGHT WIRE,S IN CLOSED WING MOUNT,S AND SLIGHTLY HEAVIER FOR FLYING ANYWAY I HOPE THIS HELP,S A LITTLE BECAUSE IT TOOK ME AGE,S TO TYPE ALL THE BEST WITH YOUR NEXT BIRD THAT YOU ARE GOING TO MEASURE AND MAKE A FEW SKETCH,S MARKING WING POINT,S AS FOR THE TAIL I WOULD CARD IT SAME CARD AS USED IN CERIAL BOX,S ONE UNDER THE TAIL FEATHER,S AND ONE ON TOP USEING PAPER CLIP,S AND MASKING TAPE BUT DONT FORGET TO ARRANGE THE TAIL FEATHER,S BEFORE CARDING YOU CAN USE THE TAPE TO HOLD IT UP AND SLIGHTLY FOREWARD ETC DANIEL ;)

3. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Rich first off.. is that a pheasant body?? It looks incredibly small for a standard pheasant... OR do you just have really HUGE hands...

it looks more along the lines of a large chuckar or grouse body...

Jon~

4. saugman1

saugman1 New Member

rich
    on pheasants i like to cut the tail off the skin and clean and position off the bird. I position the tail the way i like it and spread bondo across the bottom of the quills on one side. when the bondo hardens flip over and repeat and before this side sets up place a u shaped piece of wire in the bondo so you have to points sticking out for reattachment. once the bird is mounted slide tail into place and put a dab of hot glue to hold it and then glue the skin back to the tail to cover up bondo. I like this method because I have had clients bring in mounts that have been knocked off a table or something and it always seems the tail gets busted and this method allows for an easy fix

5. rich8621

rich8621 New Member

This is the body from Van Dykes pheasant mounting kit. Thank you for all of your help... Unfortunately, I already ate the real body for dinner. You guys are great. I really appreciate all this.

Rich

6. MarkB

MarkB New Member

This would be my guess.... I would also like to hear if I have these marked right.

Thanks

7. ole.cm

ole.cm Guest

rich
    here did you have the plase the wings be sitting and the legs in the basik plays. the blue line is the way you coud take the legs if one legs shoud stay back you set the bone lover at the body and forvard you set it up.
    you can see a clip at: http://www.americantaxidermyonline.com/bird.htm for the vings

sorry the english
    hope it helps you

8. Make sure to check your original body for reference on size of the body, neck placement, wing etc.

9. rich8621

rich8621 New Member

Tereza, ole, mark, saugman, Jon, Daniel. A BIG THANK YOU. Thank you all for taking time to read my post and assist. Your help is greatly appreciated. I have the bird completely skinned and now I am going to again, start the wiring process, this time with a little more guideance, and yes, I have learned alot.

Thank you all so much.

Rich