1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Javelina

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by FeatherHorn, Mar 31, 2008.

1. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

This is my third mammal mount. Tried to get the mouth color right after reading all of the other Javelina posts. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Looks good, but I hit my head on the side of my desk trying to see it!

3. ed150

ed150 deer city time

my neak hurts now,nice lookn mount

4. BUZ

BUZ Member

LOOKS.....CROOKED.....LOL..NICE JOB!!! :eek:

5. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Sorry about that. Is this better?

6. Featherhorn, very nice job!! I like the salyva dripping off the bottom lip :) I'd love to shoot one of those little monsters..Wish we had them up here :D

7. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

Nice work! I assume that is a McKenzie form and cast nose and lips??? Only way to go for me! I love them.
    The nose color looks good to me, but may need to be a bit more "fleshy". Most I see have black noses and lips!

8. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Nice mount, I like the saliva

9. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I like the spit in it's mouth. Nice touch. Javelina's noses are allot of differant colors, not to say yours is wrong but I like them with allot more pink, and the dark brown / black around the edges more irregular. My opinion only! Nice mount for your first one.
    Ralph

10. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    Great job on your first Javelina- You might re-paint the nose/lip line
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Use bass belly white as a base coat, tint with a light/medium ear pink, darker in the nostrils and fade out into flat of the nose. Use paynes grey around the edges of the nose/lips followed up with browns/greys depending on the hair color of the lip line to transition into the hair line area. The nose picture here is a bit extreme for the amount of dark area on a javelina nose (this is a live piggy though). Many javelina lose their pink tint in the nose/lips immediately upon death as the blood rushes to the core. As you can see in the pic's the break from the paynes grey to the pink/creme is a distinct line and not a fuzzy break so use a paint shield.

The eye lashes also drop at a steeper angle as javelina use them to protect their eyes from cactus.

good luck and great job

11. I really like that one....

12. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

since the noses can vary in color, i like it. In the top pic from the side view it actually looks fleshier than in the front view, good job especially for a first, those big land rats are a neat animal for sure, Russ

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Wow. It looks great. I agree with more flesh on the nose, but I wouldn't change it because it looks too good the way it is. What did you use for saliva? When I've used jaw juice it is too thick to look like that.

14. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Thanks for all of the comments so far, realy helps alot. I did use Jaw Juice for the saliva, it was a little tricky like you said. I had to keep manipulating it utill it set up. Used a modeling tool with a spade tip on it.

15. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i like it - i think they are the easiest open mouth to do

16. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

One thing I find that works well for saliva is two part clear epoxy. Use the 90sec. stuff. Put it a little above where you want it, let it form a drip and flow down and it will freeze in mid air.
    Ralph

17. Bagger99

Bagger99 New Member

did you use the real teeth?

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

The previous picture didn't show the nose. I think this is the one he meant to post.
    [​IMG]

19. Where do you get the 90 sec. two part epoxy?