1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowtan

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by realistic, Mar 31, 2008.

1. realistic

realistic Member

yes i want to start tanning my hides at my shop instead of shipping them. anyone have any opinions on krowtan.
    thank you
    robert
    realistic taxidermy

2. Beaver

Beaver Guest

i used it some but can't stand the chemical smell, works ok, be sure you have good ventilation!

3. realistic

realistic Member

thank you

4. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?action=search2

5. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

I love it !

6. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

It's great stuff. Especially if your like me, limited on room. I don't have to worry about stretching a hide out to salt it. Just be sure to follow directions
    exactly and keep a lid on it to keep the smell down. I don't think it's too bad though. Good luck!

7. zubba

zubba Active Member

I love Krowtann....although that is the only tanning method I have ever used. Do a search on it, then sit back and read. Some swear by it and others swear at it. I find most people who swear at it don't follow the directions. If you can read and follow directions, you will get a nice white cape with little effort.

AND....it has took me a while to come clean about this...............but a part of me kind of likes the scent of Krowtann...in a weird way. :-[

8. maximum

maximum The one that got away! Made the other guy Famous!

I used Krowtan for a year and just recently tried JRTS and I loved JRTS. I never had a problem with Krowtan, but you can tan a hide in half the time with JRTS and I feel like it shaved better, and had more strech than my Krowtan capes. This is just my humble opinion. I am no master taxidermist.

9. mcole

mcole New Member

I've used K-tan with great results....the only down side is the aroma.

10. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Hey Zubba, I didn't want to admit it, but i think it kind of smells good too. In a weird way. Except when you first open the bottle, it is pretty strong. It's pretty funny when you ask your buddies to smell it. They will jump back. Kind of like a nasty fart. Not that a fart smells good. LOL

11. I love it too! Lots of info in the archives, do a search. :)

12. Zimmie' are you a fart sniffer??? ::)

we've used Krowtan for a while now with great results and the aroma seems to be strongest as stated above, when first opening the bottle....try to steer clear of that cause it will give you a pretty good hit to the lungs.....

good luck.

Zimmie the frumpet!!! ;D ;D ;D

13. zubba

zubba Active Member

Zimmie, are you saying some farts secretly smell good......lol. ::)

I try my hardest not to smell it out of the bottle. But after mixed with salt & water...the smell starts to grow on me.....again, in a weird way.

14. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

It's kind of like a bad train wreck, you don't want to see it but you can't help but stare.