1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price per inch ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by RDA, Mar 31, 2008.

1. RDA

RDA Active Member

I was just looking at the many fine fish mounts by you guys-there really is some GOOD looking stuff on here! Heres my question, how much per inch would you LIKE to get Im charging 23 per inch, and I put out ok commercial stuff, but nothing likie you FISH guys-I was just curious ??? ??? I hope you are getting paid somewhere near what your talents are worth!!

2. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

This has been hashed over many times on here. What you can get depends on your skill level, phone/email/people skills and advertising budget. Location can also play a major factor for walk in retail. You can get much more on the coasts than you could ever get in the Midwest. Being a company that caters to the entire U.S., we can easily see the areas that can handle higher prices. Washington state and NY ( Manhattan) have the biggest spenders. The southwest is also really good. It depends on the clients your looking for..kind of a Fur Fish Game verse Sporting Classics thing. You can make money on both.

Our prices are on the lower side, mainly because we cater more to our wholesale clients and have found ways to produce large volumes of fish and make money doing it...but we can and do charge $20.00 per in. plus for picky retail accounts and elaborate molding and casting projects.

3. Oh Lord,..PLEASE spare me this thread and deliver me from further comment.....Amen.

4. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

"Im charging 23 per inch, and I put out ok commercial stuff..." And you are GETTING that? The gentleman on this forum who most of us feel does some of the best work on fish anywhere charges $25.00/inch. Sounds like you need to raise your prices...eh? ;D ;D

5. RDA

RDA Active Member

NOW YOUR GETTING MY POINT................

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I already raised my prices in January. The highest fish prices I'm aware of in my region are in the $15.00/inch range. Any of you midwest fish heads want to chime in here and report top prices in your neck of the wooods..eh? I'll raise mine to $23.00/inch and report back on how many fish I take in. ;)

7. Lord...your not answering my prayers today!!
    I'm the highest priced(that I am aware of) in my area of northeast wisconsin at $11.95 and $12.95 for different species. I do have other fees but those are my prices.
    At $23.00 an inch I'd have even MORE time to think about what a "legend in my own mind" I am....LOL!

8. RDA

RDA Active Member

Every one mentions the geographical aspect when talking about pricing--its not the area, its the taxidermists that shape the way things are And MARC, are you telling me you enjoy doing more for less ???

9. Well...cmon over from where ever you reside...open up shop next to me.....then see how far you get.
    Now I'm going to go say another prayer BEFORE I say something I shouldn't

10. RDA

RDA Active Member

Marc, my whole point here is to try and help the industry and everyone in it-it is my thought that none of us get what we should for our art and the attitude of a lot of dermists does nothing but keep the pricing down-having reverse price wars thus removing any level of respect. Look at Dennis Harris-he moved into an area and started charging a good price for his work-much more expensive than the average, and since then you can bet that most other shops in his area have increased their prices because of that---cause and effect!

11. Sad to say in wisconsin, prices are low. and unless you wish to do a strict Internet only sales, it would be hard to get those prices here.

Granted you need to do less fish per year and spend less on materials, but.........

12. RDA

RDA Active Member

I hear ya Joshua, What it takes is for someone to take the lead. Here in nevada, we had Mike Boyce to lead us into the light-its because of his efforts alone that all the other dermists in the area now enjoy higher prices

13. RDA..I respect your thoughts on the industry. I feel I already am a leader, not a follower. Are you saying everyone else should go put their head on the chopping block for YOUR beneft" Why did you wait for Mr. Boyce?
    I recently made a post about "professionalism and public relations' within the industry and made that posting for the good of all.....go check THAT out in "the taxidermy industry"forum and see how far that went. I got my a$$ handed to me by a few guys with one arm longer than the other and hair on their knuckles........LORD! I'm needing your help about now...PLEASE!

14. RDA

RDA Active Member

Wow Marc what chopping block are you speaking of How do you think getting more for less is a chopping block? and stop asking GOD for help Im SURE he has bigger fish to fry ;D

15. My prices run from $15-18 an inch up to $20 an inch depending on the situation.
    all the guys within 50 miles of me are under $10 an inch.

I still don't have people knocking my door down.
    I do 95% of all of my business online, but I might as well forget about local business.

16. Believe me when I say...I need Gods help as I am a smart a$$ and often times delight in it. Now don't get me going. If you know God, you would now that all his fish are the same size...unlike the egos on this site.

17. RDA

RDA Active Member

I guess im not the selected one :eek: And Joshua, marketing also has a lot to do with it.. Do you think your still ahead by charging more and doing less than those 10 per inch guys

18. I've seen Josh's work and he's seen mine. I guarantee you he's not doing less(in terms of time into each mount) than I am and Josh will attest to that as well. Josh has many many many more hours into each piece than I ever will.

19. The issue is right now Locally our economy is in the Crapper.
    Fishermen are not even heading out in boats like they used to.
    In the last week I have had 5 people stop in and ask if I honer the other guys price.

In all honesty I dont want the local business, they never pay ontime anyway.
    For me Online business is more reliable.
    I cant compete with the local work in my area anyway lol ::) they are just to darn Good, and at $7 an inch I cant imagine how they can afford to do what they do considering the time they OBVIOUSLY but into it. ;D

20. RDA

RDA Active Member