1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price per inch ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by RDA, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Here is my take on it.
    The world is different then it was even 5 years ago.

If you dont have an established business and you don't have a good method of dealing with customers on a national or even global scale, you are screwed.

The internet is VITAL to new businesses. The days of local loyalty are dead.
    Locals feel that you OWE them something for going to you. The internet customers feel like they need to convince YOU to do business with them.

Thats the type of mentality of customers online. Thats the new form of competition.
    Local is done for new guys.

Thats just my view.

2. RDA

RDA Active Member

I agree the times are changin and Your approach is a good one.. BUT fish inparticular are to me the most under-priced projects you can have in your shop unless your charging for them. You put in 10 plus hours on a 20" fish that you get 10 an inch for. Thats 200 dollars or 20 per hour, until you figure in shop overhead and materials, now your down to about 10 per hour which is the most unfair -to-the-artist pricing I know of just my thought on it- I really dont want to ruffle any feathers here just trying to bring a little allumination ...

3. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I see you ignored my post RDA.....just laying out the facts.

Do you think we are that stupid to work for $11.00 if we could realistically get $23.00 ?

There is no need to put 10 hours in bass. Even with in depth scale tipping...no way.

As Josh said, the Midwest is in the financial toilet. If your going to charge a premium price, you need to have a lot people who can afford it- not just a few. There are a TON of taxidermists in the Midwest. It's extremely competitive. Thank God for the internet :)

4. RDA

RDA Active Member

I DID NOT CALL ANYONE STUPID nor was I suggesting that Here it is in a nutshell --because of Mike Boyce raising his prices, all of us in the area raised ours, and continue raise prices as costs go up.. I would bet dimes to dognuts that you all would do the same if you had the chance-am I not correct ??? The economy is in the toilet all over the country-not just your parts.. Which is EXACTLY why we need to elevate our industry

5. Another thing in my favor is. I only do fish.
    My shop is in my basement, and I am good ant finding materials for far lower costs then what any of the taxidermy companies can provide. I cant remember the last time I ordered from a taxidermy company.
    My overhead is VERY low, so i can afford to put in extra time to get it done.

I havent seen Aaron's shop yet but from what I have seen in photos it seems VERY well run and very efficient.

As for Marc he does some of the best fish in the area. and he actually seems to give a rodents rump about the outcome of his work.
    His business also seems to be run to the best of its capability. He has some great advertising methods and display methods as well.

Efficiency is also Key! in todays world. Look for better prices on materials to keep your costs down. be smart. Be smart when you advertise and you will be better off.
    All that said, none of this will help you draw in business when business is nowhere to be found, and at the moment locally without a established customer base its not there.

6. If the prices of fish taxidermy had increased proportionately/exponentially with the price of other taxidermy work, like it has with commercial deerheads, then everyone should be charging higher for fish work than they currently are. Most guys don't think they can get a higher price for their work, but if everyone raised their prices based on what their work was worth or the age old, time and materials equation, they might find otherwise. The big problem is the newbies starting out that aren't qualified to even take in work but hang their shingles with their lowball price lists and rob these legitimate full-timers of income. It throws the fear of God into the full-time guys.

Except for those guys that continue to keep their prices like they were back in 1980 and are still charging $225 for a deerhead. They are right in the ballpark when they charge $8 bucks an inch for a fish.

7. A- Fish

RDA- you make good, sound points that I agree with. I am curious about the amount of fish you take in and how much of your income comes from fish taxidermy. Any picture you can share of your work would be great. I think it would all give us something to shoot for :)

8. RDA

RDA Active Member

Yes, that is cause and effect--it can be good or bad and its up to us

9. RDA

RDA Active Member

Aaron, I would probably end up embarrassed to put my fish on here ;D but I will try.. I take in maybe twenty fish a year-repros only but since they are 23 an inch, it probably equals over twice that many with cheaper prices[​IMG][​IMG]

10. A- Fish

Beautiful rainbow..definitely worth every penny of $23.00 per in.

When are you going to take the leap to $46.00 per in lol ? Your work is worth it !

11. RDA

RDA Active Member

LOL if Im worth 23, then my point is made that you real fish guys ARE worth 46 per inch!

12. Does your $23 include both sides?

13. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

With both eyes? ::) ;D Sorry, That was just way to easy!!!!!!

14. I was waiting for it. lol

15. RDA

RDA Active Member

Yes to both ;D

16. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Personally I think you can get pretty much what ever you want. I know in November I was only getting $8.50 a inch. After a phone call to one of the finest fish guys I have talked too in my life he says why not get what your worth. He said you really should be at 13.00 however $4.50 raise seemed way to much at 1 shot any how I was thinking .50 or $1.00. Any how I jumped it to $11.00 and you know what I have taken in 5 fish in the last month NOT ONE customer said anything except how nice my work was. On the other hand I raised my Duck prices and I did have 1 guy that made a comment when I told him I need 50% and 50% = $130 he said simply said thats 1/2 ? He didn't say anything and went and got the check..

For example Cabelas is sometimes higher priced then my local sports store however when you go in there you always buy something I could of got cheaper somewhere else. Kinda like impulse buying if you would.

17. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

30 per inch if it is from one of my existing molds, 35 if they insist on me molding their fish. If they want me to mold it and I really could use the mold later, I waive the extra 5 bucks. I haven't changed my price in over ten years so probably out-dated. I don't make any $ at it at these prices just because I am so slow, but I sure enjoy doing them. I have a pretty loyal clientel, but doubt that there would be enough guys for me to do this full-time. Right now, the majority of my income comes from decoys and a few other things. If I did fish only, I would consider doing a faster molding and painting method and charge less to get more business. There are only so many people out there that know the difference between a good fish and an OK fish and willing to pay the difference, though that is changing.
    Dave

18. Agh $23 an inch for a two sided mount isnt that high.
    that does change things a bit.

I am around $25-30 for a two sided mount. its twice the work for me.

19. RDA

RDA Active Member

20. personally price per inch is rather annoying for me. I am debating going to flat rates per specie or per size slot.