1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price per inch ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by RDA, Mar 31, 2008.

1. RDA

RDA Active Member

Very good idea Joshua- The European guys do it by a bid price for "the Piece" In norway, I know a guy that does a pair of ptarmigans on a lttle rock/moss scene for 1500! Heres an approach, when a customer comes in, talk to him about the scene, the whole piece and what you want to create for him, then simply quote him a price for the whole piece- much lika a flat artist would do :)

2. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

RDA..you should have told us your pricing was for a two sided piece...my price doubles for 3-D work. I still make more on a one sided piece @ $11.00 though :D It's all about TIME.

3. Two sides?...twice as much! 20 fish a year? starvation...LOL!

4. RDA

RDA Active Member

Thats why I do eveything- fish are the lest profit so I do them less--as Ive said earlier, Im not a REAL fish guy-I can do a decent commercial mount, But NOTHING like you real fish guys--Bill Cook former world champion is a friend of mine and when I look at his work, I realize how far I am from a REAL fish guy! ;D

5. i wish the general public could see what some taxidermy costs around the country...
    the last time i said what i charged a inch people on here thought it was for sure a joke....

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

How about this? Marc moves to Nevada and raises his prices to $23.00/inch and gets big fat checks. RDA moves to Wisconsin, charges $23.00/inch and gets a reality check. ;D ;D

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

Could you tell me why prcing philosophies work here in nevada one of the least populated states in the country, but wont work back in the great lakes area

8. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Sometimes I wonder why people on the East and West coast think it doesn't matter where you live as to what you charge. I live the Midwest (KS), and the house I live in would go for at least 3 times the market value on the coasts as to where I live, even with the crappy house situation. If that is the case, then it would presumably tell me there is more money on the coasts, hence they are paying 3x the amount for the same thing!. I charge 15 per inch, 1 sided and only do 5-10 fish a year. I understand it is not my full time job, but for me to do a fish that I feel is respectable, I charge as much as I can. It does matter where you live and the economy of the area. IMHO!

9. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Cory... I have to second what you're saying. I have seen where some argue that Ford or Chevy doesn't charge less for their vehicles across the midsection or in the SE, so why should taxidermists care what region they live in when setting prices. I also understand that taxidermy is a luxury item... not a necessity. But I'm with you (and others) on the different economies/different regions school of thought.

You mentioned houses... I still own mine in central KS. It's not huge (1200 sq.ft.) but it looks nice enough. I paid, counting the money spent of fixing a few things, around 28K on it, and it's on a large corner lot. I could fetch an easy 200K in Dillingham, AK (my present home). In fact my wife and I looked at two houses last week. Both were priced at 225K, both are about 1200 sq. ft. Both are in OK condition. That's the going rate here. The nice homes with 2000 sq. ft. or space fetch well over 300K... and wouldn't even get a third of that in central KS. So how much do guys pay for these items? Milk? 8.50 a gallon. Eggs? 3.50 a dozen. Gas? 5 bucks a gallon, and the rumor in town is that when the Spring barge gets here it will top seven bucks. I don't know about the rest of the U.S. but those aren't central KS numbers. They are however a fact of reality for the economy here.

With that in mind I have no doubt that people like Aaron and Josh and Marc know and understand their economies. And I have no doubt that they are charging what they feel they can to give themselves the best possible profit without having potential clients turn away in droves.

BTW... I just went up to $22 an inch for over 30" and $19 an inch for 30" and under. I was a few bucks lower last year (first year 'open for business here) but suppliers and postage went up. I did a few over 20 fish last year (I am fish only) and am not full time. Even with the raise in prices, I have already had several new orders in the last couple of weeks. I was not expecting any new orders until fish season really starts in earnest (mid June), so this has been a pleasant surprise.

It's kind of a sticky question, and (sorry Marc) this probably won't be the last time it gets brought up. I do know it's far it's a far easier thing for me to consider bumping up the prices whereas my heating bill, monthly groceries, etc; doesn't depend on it. If I get 20 more people this year, cool. If I lose business... Oh well; maybe I'll adjust, maybe I won't. Maybe I'll pull in still a few more clients than last year. For those of you that are full time, I'm a tad jealous and glad it's not me all at the same time.

10. Very well explained Terry and Cory.
    I don't have the luxury of hoping for business. I just about have to guarantee myself that a certain number of fish come in. It's sink or swim and the dog paddle just aint gonna cut it. Health insurance, business costs, gas prices, dating ( which really sucks the bulge out of a wallet fast...LOL!) and of course I'm fond of food too, all take their toll.
    Perca...your nothin but a "pot stirrer"...LOL!
    RDA.. you made a good point earlier...the trouble with raising prices to the extreme is...there's always others in the bus. who will be nipping at your heels and wanting your prospective clients. Undercutting prices is a major part of their equation. It's the American way in which we all must participate...one way or another.

11. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

DATING? :eek: ;D Heck, if I'd been dating when I set MY prices I might very well have encroached on fifty bucks an inch. Given that new piece of information Marc, I don't know how you're surviving at your prices.

Marc, if you don't mind me being nosy... how many fish do you do in a typical year, since you did mention "a certain number"... I am guessing trying to meet a yearly mark is true of any full time fish guy.

12. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

well try selling a 39 inch king salmon at 23 bucks an inch. Will not go over to well. Try to get what I deserve and the economy will allow. It will be great if everyone considered this an art as it is. But most do not.

13. RDA

RDA Active Member

14. RDA

RDA Active Member

Im living proof, as I just opened a new shop in Carson City. There are taxidermists doing deer for 400. They are two years behind and MANY are of dubious quality. I charge 750 and have clients coming in, pulling their work from other shops and plopping into my lap A: I give a quality well presented product and B: I get on it I work long and hard (take that however you will ::) ;D) and they get it back quickly I utilize all the tricks of a major shop to my own benefit....

15. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Wisconsin 33,565 Per capita income 2005

Nevada 35,883 Per capita income 2005

Ron you can't change them, I quit trying , you may as well.
    Some will NEVER GET IT!

16. RDA

RDA Active Member

BWAHAHAHERHAR ;D I KNEW you were going to chime in with exactly that :D

17. *

You know I'd never let you down ;D

18. *

There are piss broke people in every state, rich ones too, I just prefer to do work for the latter.

19. RDA

RDA Active Member

LMAO no kidding, a young taxidermist friend is her right now, and a few ago I noticed you were on, and i said to him,"watch this, A taxidermist named Dennis will chime in any time telling me to give it up--no [email protected] ;D AND yes indeed on the later catagory of clients ;) ya know, even Mike told me that he had given up on trying to educate taxidermists I guess im the consumate optomist :D :D

20. byron w

byron w BlueWater Art

as far as educating the customers, I have (2) 16" crappie . One is a commercial skin mount on some drift wood for $175.00, the other is a custom piece with about 3 more hours in it for antiquing, scale detailing,etc. Now for $6.00 in materials and a hour labor i can make a really nice background that will get me $295.00 (one sided) for the custom piece. I have found little, inexpensive ways to build alot of value into my work, and 8 out of 10 times they will want a custom piece. thats my 2 cent on how i get more money.