1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price per inch ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by RDA, Mar 31, 2008.

1. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

That helps alot...........thanks for answering my questions.

RDA, your a smart man with good advice to share. I have alot of respect for you.

Fish are a different ball game. We do work for MANY large successful shops around the country. It's quite common for them to get large shipments of African work etc in . Fish are an after thought, secondary to the big game.
    Ever notice how many of the top fish taxidermists are charging big money and still have to do wholesale, sell blanks, teach etc. to make things happen?

2. Posting removed by the author...LOL!

3. RDA

RDA Active Member

looks like someone should get on the painting ;D

4. Sorry, I can't play anymore tonight guys...got a hot date!

5. Have fun Marc and dont do anything I wouldnt do. ;)
    Heck what wouldnt I do ???

6. Well as Elvis would have said, that looks like a whole lota,lota fish. Nice photo Marc, and it looks like excellent work on those fish.

7. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Marc.... Love the photo of all the fish; I'm going to have to pull that one off and save it on my desktop. I very much respect what Dennis and RDA (Ron?) are trying to say, and I'm very glad it's working for them. But I have the utmost respect for those of you (such as yourself, Den, Pescado, Aaron, Josh, Gary, Rick, DaveC, DougP, etc;) who are able to make a go of it full time with just fish. I am impressed by what you do and in awe of the artistic skill needed to produce the work you do. I'm like Monty... I appreciate my day job (and very much enjoy it as well) but that doesn't stop me from once in a while thinking... "What if" about the whole full time gig. ;) I am always grateful for the information you guys so willing share.

BTW... my best friend is dating a gal. He normally claims that life/job is too busy, but he's got a relationship starting up. He commented to me- unsolicited- on the phone today about how the wallet isn't as fat the last couple of months. :D Don't run that wallet of yours too lean, ESPECIALLY at those prices WI fish guys are held to. ::) ;D

Josh... I wondered the same thing. The only difference is that I'm married to the one I'd do it with. ;D

8. Same here :D agh this thread is amusing to me, and Iam not sure why.

9. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Thanks Randall, Let those that do not know me think what they like.
    Your very correct but farther than that I have a passion for this Industry.
    I can tell you I was BORN a taxidermist, tho none had ever been involved in it before me.
    I live breath and sleep what I am.

And Marc, 50 hours TOTAL TIME, commercial customer piece, $15,000.00
    300.00 per hour. also Set up and take down time 30 seconds each.

And yep, If your happy that's all that matters. I was not bashing you about anything YOU do. A lot of taxidermists are not making a living. I was referring to those that say things can't be done.
    Can't is a word that I NEVER speak.
    And If I had the ego you seem to think I have then I'd be plastering my name all over these pages instead of going by *.
    I'll steer clear of the fish forum totally.

10. RDA

RDA Active Member

yEAH RIGHT ;D You cant do it--no more than I--Its in our blood ;D ;D

11. I am glad we dont have Marc's fish load. That says everything to me "Time to raise prices a bunch!"

12. A- Fish

Nice fish ( and boat) Marc.

Terry- you have to be crazy to do fish full time....crazy.

We are actually thinking about raising our price on retail sky high to free up more time for our wholesale business lol .

13. WOMEN!! Geeesh, when will I EVER learn!
    (*) Kudos to you man! Thats a heck of a lot more jingo than I make on a regular basis, though I have had $300 per hour stints along the way. Just not a steady $300 per hour. If I did, you guys would have never had to deal with me...LOL because I'd be GONE!
    Palm trees, golden sand, azure blue waters and HUGE fish in the kill box, women in bikinis..er scratch that last one.... too much trouble..LOL!
    I'll tell you this Terry, For me the best part of doing taxidermy full time is, when the fish are biting you get to hit the lights off in two seconds flat and get out on the water. No one to tell me I have to stay and do this or that. Never did take direction well anyway....LOL! That in and of itself is THEE most enjoyable part of my work. Sorry I'm just not a purist who lives and breaths the industry. I feel I am passionate about it but can just as easily...leave to be out on the lake, enjoying my life a whole lot more. Those are the true perks this business offers me.
    PS..Mr English....sorry about the posting. I can get carried away with being a "legend in my own mind" at times. Truth be told...guys like GaryB, UFD, Pescado,Rick Krane,DougP, Josh whom I've actually met, and on and on....I see their stuff and all I can say is....WOW! Particularly DougP's work. If his work isn't worth $46 an inch NOBODY'S is. That stuff just rocks my world!
    I can't comment on animal guys because I know nothing about what I'm seeing.

14. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Hmmm... that first comment about women and learning... Had kinda wondered. If I read the time stamps correctly that was about a 2.5 hour date, which struck me as kinda on the lean side. Perhaps your comment sheds some light on it. ;D Sorry... couldn't resist.

I hear what you're saying about having time. And Aaron... it's hard to take you seriously about the crazy part when you're wrapped up in it every day AND your passion is obvious based on the work you share photos of and the answers you post to questions. It's pretty clear it's not a hum-drum kinda job for you. ;)

Dennis... that advertising budget is roughly what I was making a year as a school teacher before taking my current job (which isn't enough more to elaborate on). I have mulled your number over several times tonight. And here I sit up here in bush Alaska all excited because in one week I'll have my first professionally printed full color brochure... for $300. LOL

15. A- Fish

Juuuuuust kidding Terry lol. Fish and taxidermy in general is my passion and I was literaly born a taxidermist. I couldn't live without it.

16. I've mulled those numbers over also Terry. $300 per hour at a 40 hour work week (even more if it's your passion) times 51 weeks a year and 4 weeks vacation time. I'm not good at math but maybe someone can tell me what that amounts to. What does that amount to (*)?
    I often hear fisherman talk of catching X number of fish in one hour. It's always an impressive number too. But they never add in the two hours travel time each way to get there or the time spent finding the fish and keying in on the presentation, the time and cost of filling the gas tank, purchasing lures, fixing the flat on the way there, etc etc.
    Here in WI we have Indian gaming and you ALWAYS hear when someone wins and NEVER hear when they wasted time losing. Funny how that works...LOL!
    I think this thread has shown that taxidermy can be what you want it to be and we should all embrace that without trying to change how others charge. They know best what works for them.

Aaron, am I correct in thinking that you are of Amish decent? I met two Amish guys once. They were some of the nicest people you'll ever meet but worked their a$$es off. They worked and worked and worked some more. Then for a vacation the went to.................work LOL! I was thinking on asking you to go trolling on lk. Mich. with me this summer and just to keep you happy, I would leave the motor off and LET you row us around the big pond while I catch all the fish...LOL! Sound like a plan?....LOL!

17. Hey Terry, Next time you run into a Wisconsinite up there, tell them...we hear you guys from Wisconsin have deep pockets. So deep you can't reach your wallets...LOL!

18. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Agreed, let everyone do what makes them happy. ;D

19. A- Fish

Not of Amish decent, but we changed to something very similar to Amish. Amish are originaly from Germany, and I'm almost 100% German, so it's close.

A strong work ethic is part of our religion. We recently added bird work to our wholesale line up, and the first thing everyone says is " don't you guys have enough to do!! LOL.We are currently completing over 1000 fish a year. We put in a lot of hours. :D

[​IMG]

BTW, I drive a new Dodge Ram pickup and have a new boat ( with a motor)...you can row yourself around the lake buddy

Amen.

20. RDA

RDA Active Member

tHIE JUST HAPPENED THIS AM, had a customer come in shopping-said he had been to most of the haxidermists in town-wanted to see what I had going on.. Wants two deer heads with stock capes.I quoted him 900 for the mount/stock cape. I coulod see he was shocked-and I said, you seemed shocked and he agreed. I then explained to him by example of good work vs bad-getting what you pay for-I then told him he would have both back within four months mor less... not only did I get both deer, but he contacted a friend who is bringing in a caribou and a ls wolf...I am the most expensive in town-there are several haxidermists doing heads for 400--lousy quality and they are backed up two and three years, and their customers are now coming to me.. A dayton taxidermist also just tolod me that he is going to raise his prices due to what Im getting--thats how it all starts.. That is called forward progress... just re-read my post,, forgive me for my lack of typing skills in pre-coffee mode ;D