1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price per inch ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by RDA, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Aaron.....will you...BRING me fishin then?....LOL!
    1000 fish.....gosh, I can't even imagine. How do you get around inside the studio when they build up? Holy smokes!!!!

2. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

I Hear you Ron.

we are here like a beacon to give hope and encouragement---some will listen and others ignore

very good quality work with a speedy return can and will fetch high end dollars anywhere in the country.

3. Gary! I very much enjoy and appreciate your quality work but that beacon you speak of???....VERY DIM and pompous too!. You may want to replace the bulb.

4. ArcheryBowX

ArcheryBowX New Member

Here in wisconsin we have a taxidermy school (no names mentioned) offering 1 weeK courses, After putting out 10 or more people (skilled taxidermists a week ;)) i just think after 1 week you can open your own business, deer heads another week, birds the next,,,sounds great doesnt it.......(especially if your the guy running the place for 10 grand a week)..newbees =lowball pricing, theres a taxidermist on every block it seems

5. GBRUCH

pompous---lol. Since when is encouraging others that their work deserves more money sound pompous.

Sorry that I couldn't be more encouraging to you Marc ---- I guess dim is better than dark.

6. Gary, it's as much of an insult for fellow taxidermists on here, who make a full time living and have done so for nearly thirty years, to hear part timers and high enders come on here telling us how we are doing it wrong...... as it would be for you to hear someone who may charge half as much as you, tell you.....your work is OVER priced. There for , over valued which would mean, IT'S NOT WORTH IT. And to my knowledge...nobody has YET to say that...LOL!
    I could care less if others have filthy rich clientele and get $4000 for a fish. Infact some people have so much jingo they'd buy a potato chip shaped like Idaho for $10.000. So what!...LOL! Do I need to have you insinuating to me (as if your superior) that what I'm doing and how I'm running my thriving business is somehow not right? Sounds ego driven and pompous to me. Or do you want others to raise their prices and then actually make your work seem like a more fair valued product?
    So YES, Gary I give kudos to your art work and have already done so publicly...but I also am a straight shooter and NO, you are NOT a beacon for me to follow because you charge more and have higher paying clients? Maybe you need a reality check.

Always here to bring light to a dark EGO driven post, not being dark Gary!

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

So now marc,, are you calling me an ego driven part timer or highender ??? You shouldnt make calls like that to people you dont even know.. This thread had NOTHING to do with ego-amigo!! This thread was born from a desire to see our industry elevated to where it should be--look at the big picture-if you can... Its attitudes LIKE YOURS THAT KEEP 0UR INDUSTRY IN THE HOBBY CLASSIFICATIONS. So hows that for a srtaight shot ;) And yes marc YOUR perfect and in no need to improve in any way and I certailnly hope you never get another penny more for your work since it would insult you to wish otherwise.....

8. What I would be interested in Seeing is How many of those who are charging higher prices are getting Local business and how many are getting Internet or distance based business?

Perhaps broken into percentages?

for me it is roughly

85% distance
    15% local

When i tell my prices most of the local guys tell me to go stuff it! lol but not in the way that puts money in my wallet.

9. RDA

RDA Active Member

Joshua, you have figured out where your market is.. And You probably dont say to yourself, I better LOWER my prices so I can do MORE fish did you... I let potential customers walk on a daily basis- if Im too expensive, then they are not the customers I desire. I like the less for more rather than the more for ;) less philosophy

10. that may be true, but I am curious none the less as to where most people are getting their business. I know for a fact that many people are getting business form distant customers more so then local.

11. GBRUCH

Marc--
    I have to tell you that you certainly read to much into my post--I never insinuated anything to or about you. There is much need for all levels of price and thus quality. I made no attack on you personally. Myself and others here charge a higher than average price and would encourage others to not be afraid to do so. If you choose to great if not great as well. It doesn't affect me in any way. I was agreeing with Ron that many could get much more if they simply asked for it. As Ron described It only takes one to take that first step and often others will follow. The most successfull East Coast taxidermist I know of charges high dollars with a less than 6 month turnaround and has no problem getting work--now they don't do fish(lol). Anyway, I am in no way belittling anyone on this forum it is a choice each of is allowed to make for themselves but for me I would rather do less jobs for more money per job.

I do disagree with your assesment of this being ane ego drtiven post--I don't think Ron had anything but positive intentions unfortunately on here things can become blown out of porportionand often do.

Anyway congrats on 30 years--I know I don't have the patience to last that long in this industry.

12. Yeah, I know what your saying about patience. Like when I read some of these posts. As if we all didn't know from the get go that this one (which has been beaten like a dead horse with a big stick) would cause divisions in our sometimes friendly conversations. And it did.
    RDA or Ron as you call him...does 20 fish a year Gary. 20 fiish! THAT is NOT full time taxidermy. For a taxidermist to make 80K a year, he'd have to get $4000 a fish. So what else is he doing?
    I only do fish and I've got a boy who just turned 13 to support. No one who's doing 20 fish a year needs to tell me I need to raise my prices and no body on here is a beacon for me...very few are friends and RDA must be my "pal" cuz that's what he called me......LOL!

13. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Well I just cracked open my second beer, so I guess I can chime in on this one.

Well all this talk about "price per inch" really doesn't mean diddlysquat or as a Canadian friend of mine would say "dick all" to me. Now break it down in actual time spent on a fish, start to finish, with the total price charged, divided by the length of the fish might actually make some sense.

If Marc does five, twenty inch trout, at lets say 12.00 per inch and finishes those fish in a forty hour week, how would that compare to lets say Gary or Ron is doing a fish that is twenty inches, at 25.00 per inch and takes the same forty hours to complete it?

5 x 20 x 12 = 1200 30 per hour

1 x 20 x 25 = 500 12.5 per hour

This a fictitious scenario, any similarities to anyone above is strictly coincidental

PB

14. GBRUCH

Exactly right Paul. I have always assumed that the higher priced fish doesn't usually equate to higher dollars per hour- This assumption is based on my own results.

This is a consideration not mentioned until now.

Each of us must decide for ourselves what we consider "right" -- I think we can all agree on this As well as that this has been beat beyond death--lol.

15. As long as bills are paid and a bit gets set aside thats all I care about.

I do know my hourly rate doesnt mean squat. lol

I have severe Insomnia and go on about 4 hours of sleep a day, Ive been that way my whole life.
    But that leaves me with more time, and I would rather spend that time sitting in my studio listening to Tom Waits and painting scales then sitting in front of a TV wishing I could sleep.

So my Hourly wage fluctuates from $30-12 an hour.

Meh what can you do.

Like I could let a fish out the door without being proud enough to hang it on my own wall anyway. I rarely say "good enough" I wish I could, but I know I cant.
    So for me the fish is done when its done.

16. dougp

dougp Active Member

Hey Paul......what kinda beer you drinkin' tonight, eh? I'm goin' home for some....uhhh, I guess it'll be some Dinkel Acker for me!!

17. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Hey Paul. You told me about "beer Tuesday" but never mentioned "beer Friday! (Burp!) Excuse me. I just ate a 10 lb walleye. ::) Every Fiday is FRYday here. :D Anyway, you know what your fugures prove? The guy who's really making the big bucks per hour on fish is....M.T! ;D ;D ;D

18. Wild Bill

Wild Bill If my hats missing im fishing

Perca thats hilarious right there :D :D

19. Hacker-Pschorr weiss for me please....

20. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Crooked Tree Double IPA

Note the Alc. content !