1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Power Washer/Flesher

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Marc A, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

Cole got me with the pictures of the power flesher. Been reading and thinking about it, but now I'm committed to getting one. My question: Is the turbo nozzle necessary, or does the one that comes with the unit work for fleshing ?

2. No you dont need it but its $30.00 at Lowes and helps you not rip the hide to pieces.

3. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

Thanks John !

4. 30-06

30-06 Member

I don't use a turbo and it works fine (although I have never compared it against the turbo). I rarely rip a hide either.

5. mcole

mcole New Member

I have always used the turbo tip....for all my p/wash. Give the other tips a try with sufficient psi they should work.
    Glad to hear the post/pic's helped!

6. mcole, have you ever tried a 1550??? i was just wondering because i have an electric one at the shop that we use and it seems pretty powerfull....just didn't know if it was enough to get the job done though??? we've been pondering on this as well since your photo's came out the other day.....??

7. 1550 is okay for anything up to deer using the turbo nozzle. I can do a deer in about 12 minutes with it. I tried it on two bison hides the other day and no go I am buying a bigger one for larger stuff. All I did was get a bath in bison lard. (I looked like George afterwards)

8. OUCH...can't afford to be looking like that around our shop....thanks for the info Darrell....we have the turbo tip so might give this a try shortly...

George....sorry about the comment but Darrell left it open so i felt obligated to throw in some pun. ;D All in good fun though!

9. Bagger99

Bagger99 New Member

I have yet to try using a power waher for fleshing, do you use cold water and lay it a flat surface, please explain?

10. mcole

mcole New Member

the 1550 doesn't have enough psi to do deer or big game.....

11. I think the smallest psi is around 2500 that will do deer hides.

I am getting a 3750. just think its better to be over powered with an adjustable pump than underpowered.

12. I disagree, as I said I have used one for three years. With the turbo tip I can do a cape in 12 minutes. The ONLY thing I have not been able to do with my little one was the buffalo. I bought a 3750 but still use my smaller one for deer.

13. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    I had a small yellow electric Karcher or something like that. It had a turbo head, and it would do a deer cape. I recently purchased a 2800 psi gas powered washer. It had an adjustable head and would clean up a deer nicely. After reading this post, and seeing John C's suggestion about Lowe's carrying a turbo replacement nozzle, I thought I would try it. This little red turbo replacement nozzle was miserable. It wouldn't touch a simple sheep cape. I am really thinking I got a lemon. The old Karcher turbo nozzle was unbelievable. John C, did you try the Lowe's replacement Turbo nozzle? Maybe, I screwed up some how.

14. I ended up getting a turbo nozzle for Home Depot. Mainly because we dont have aLowes in town

Kenneth I think maybe you got a lemon as the turbo should just about double the pressure according to what I have seen and used. Home Depot has a $4.95 replacemnt warranty on the nozzle for 12 months.

Maybe you should take the bad one back, I have not done a sheep so I dont know.

15. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    This thing did very little compared to the 1600 psi Karcher turbo nozzle. I wish, I could figure out how to incorporate the old nozzle onto my new rig. It just look like a non-match.

16. michaelf

michaelf New Member

I have a little 2400 psi and use it with no turbo tip and it work's very well. Doe's a super job on deer and smaller stuff.