1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Was Your First Animal To Mount??

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BamaHuntin, Apr 2, 2008.

1. BamaHuntin

BamaHuntin Member

I was wonderin what your first animal that you mounted was,how difficult it was,and if you could go back would you choose the same animal? I've been going back and forth on which animal to start with for several reasons.I really wanted to do a deer mount but that did'nt work out for me last deer season.So then I decided to go with a coyote shoulder/pedestal mount.So far I have'nt been too lucky at getting one of those this year yet neither.Yesterday I went to my taxidermy to drop something off and I asked him what he thought would be a good animal for me to start with and he said squirrel.Seems like I've read on here that a squirrel was a difficult one to start off with.Whats your opinions on that? If I did go with a squirrel,I thought I'd get one of those kits out of the WASCO magazine that has all the stuff you need except for the mannikin.Anybody ever tried on of these kits? Reason I ask is because I was wondering if the instructions were informative enough?What do you guys think?
    Thanks in advance.
    James

2. nofiveo

nofiveo Active Member

my first mount was a fox squirrel. i did just like you're thinking. got the kit (from van dykes tho) and went to it. it turned out so ugly it could scare the paint off a fence.. but i learned alot. my second lifesize was a coon, it was much more fun and when i finished it, while no where close to perfect, it looked enough like a coon that i hung it on the wall lol. you might try putting a post in the wanted section.. maybe someone might have a coyote cape they would be willing to part with. i'm thinkin old terry used to sell them already tanned. he hasn't been feeling well lately, but you might try pm'ing him.. dosen't hurt to ask! bottom line.. give it a try and have fun!

3. yellow perch first ever mount but a whitetail for mammels

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

A Beechey Ground squirrel.. Would I start on a squirrel again if I could go back?? NO.. But i will admit it taught me LOTS of patience..

5. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

whitetail here. i hate tree rats ;D there are many things in the forsale category cheap enough for a beginner to buy an practice on. occasionally some gifted items such as ducks, tree rats, oppossums, and more, all you gotta do is look. good luck, RUss

6. tree rats make me a better shot thats about all they are good for. I shot 2 or 3 a week . Where the hell do they come from? my .22 is always in my truck which is always right outside my shop and when i walk out side for what ever reason and see one ITS ON. I did have a smart on about a month ago he evaded me for almost 3 weeks.

7. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

PLEASE see the BEST OF THE WORST POST I STARTED IN THE INDUSTRY SECTION

8. My first mount was a squirrel. Back then we had to make the body out of filler. Would I do it again? Yeah. Squirrels are still one of my favorite animals to mount. Mounted a "Punk Rock" squirrel for a teenager once. Had earrings, gold chain neckless, guitar in it's hand, and a leather vest. Squirrels are fun because they are versatile.

9. uphill

uphill New Member

a grouse

10. laci

laci New Member

Largmouth Bass

11. my ex-wife

bobcat

12. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Flying pheasant. Not overly difficult to mount. Study the anatomy of the animal you choose before you start. The mounting isn't "hard". Making it look like a live animal is!

13. My first was a flying Pheasant. User friendly and big enough to work with easly.

14. Mine was a Whitetail. They're not a bad starter as they are reasonably big compared to something like a squirrel. The cape is pretty tough, too. You have to start somewhere, and you might as well start with what you have!

15. Smallmouth, widgeon, bobcat (l/s), mule deer (shoulder)

16. And Darrells ex wife

17. Could you still tatse me? ROTFLMAO

18. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

bass then duck then squirrel

19. My first mount was a turkey breast mount...but my first real serious mount was a whitetail shoulder

20. cinjim01

cinjim01 New Member

A crow and I still had it up until a couple of years ago. Looked like a road kill. Finally threw it out after 50 years.