1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taxidermy lingo

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by duff83, Apr 2, 2008.

1. duff83

duff83 what i have in my heart, ill take to my grave

so I'm reading through some posts and i was wondering what all the lingo ment. I'm about to start school Monday, but it would be cool if i knew a few of the catch words and such going in... like for instance what does it mean when some one is offering an animal "frozen green"? post as many or as little taxidermy specific catch phrases and lingo. thanks guys ;D

2. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

frozen green is an unfleshed untanned hide or specimen. any more q's just postem, someone will answer for ya. ;)

3. GrayFox

GrayFox New Member

Here's a couple of phrases that confused me when I first started taxidermy. You may already have heard them but if you haven't, here you go:

"Turning" the lips, ears, eyelids and nose: It means that the animal's lips, eyelids ears and nose are literally turned inside out after skinning and before tanning.

"Slipping": when the fur starts falling out of a hide due to bacteria and decomposition,or poor tanning.

"Breaking" a hide: This is what its called when you soften up a dried, tanned hide to make a rug or something that needs to be very soft and pliable.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Hope this helps!

4. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

DP'd = Dry preserved

5. Long Y- incision Y'ing from the antler burrs cut completely down the back (alot of sewing)

short-Y- incision Y'ing from the antler burrs extending down a couple of inches (alot less sewing)

straight cut- incision made from antler burr to antler burr (hardly any sewing and almost impossible to find)

6. ChipD.

ChipD. New Member

Dorsal Skinned= cut down the back
    Cased Skinned= cut up the rear of one leg around the anus (buthole) down the rear of the opposite leg
    PIA = Pain In A$$ Refering to a difficulty you are having, ie. skinning and fleshing a wabbit.

7. strutinh

strutinh Member

G B == Going Broke you,ll use this one alot

8. rebel

rebel New Member

not if you are good

9. F

I say F this and F that alot....lmao

10. duff83

:D lmao yeah im sure those wont be short to come in my carrier lol.

keep em comming guys! this is great. i was indeed wondering what turnned lips eyes ext ment. monday cant come fast enough!!! i cant wait for school to start.

11. bulldawg

bulldawg Member

Inab.....I need another beer!

I find the more I drink, the better taxi I become, well atleast til I see it in the morning.

12. B Y O B means, bring your own beer!! you tell this to your buddy's when they come over to watch you work

13. arrowhead

arrowhead New Member

If you have a Breakthrough Whitetail manual, There is a list of taxi slang in the back, several pages long.

14. duff83

i have nothing taxidermy yet. but i know when i start school on monday, ill be getting a whole lot of goodies and tools and books. here hopeing that i get said book.

ps, love the avitar... makes me feel uneasy :D

15. Stop Rot - magical elixir that does everything but grow hair read up on this stuff and always have an EXTRA bottle on hand in case of emergency... and you will get those emergencies... the guy who keeps his deer head and cape in the back of his truck several days to go brag to everyone, then brings to you when he cannot outdrive the stink...

super glue - great around the shop and good for gluing the cuts you put in your fingers while your buddies are over distracting you... rub stop rot in the cut first... like I said it does everything...

gag factor charge - additional charge incurred by customer for making you toss cookies (or come close)

16. B2L

B2L New Member

The lachryml(spelled somethign like that) is the tear duct.. Had to get the dictionary out for that one.. The base of the antler has a funky name too cant remember that one thoguh..
    Eric

17. Lenny

Lenny New Member

Rehydrate - make a dry hide plyable spray hide with h2o put in a plastic bag over night in refrigerator. If mounted and you want to make changes for some reason mouth, eyes ears or anything else spray with h2o cover with plastic bag tape both ends to keep moist over night.

18. arrowhead

arrowhead New Member

Needle,,, used for sewing up the hide.

19. newbie07

newbie07 New Member

what school are you goin to?

20. Good luck in school..... ;D