1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Latest deer done,Let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by whitetail8, Apr 2, 2008.

1. The cape was not in the best shape but I think it did not come out too bad. Let me know, Research mannikin almost 90 degree upright form.Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

looks real nice, i like it, RUss

3. snareman1234

snareman1234 New Member

Don't know anything about taxidermy, but that looks just like a real deer, and has a dam nice set of horns

4. Mason

Mason Active Member

Very nice.
    Very clean job!

Mason

5. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 Member

First thing I noticed is the eyes.Then the nostrils.Then the ears.....
    Keep it up ....It'll come to ya

6. frantz

frantz New Member

dawg3548
    Great! That was helpful. You noticed what?
    I noticed the nostrils were not opened enough maybe? See, when I get my forms, I cut the nostril holes before mounting. Other than that, boy it looks great!
    Don't get me wrong, i am a beginner too, but we need specific back-up, like: here-good, there-bad. Be specific, my friends!

7. I appreciate the feedback and yes I have been struggling with the eyes. The last deer I just did I thinned the face a little more and found Georges post on eyes very helpful. That deer is still drying now but I think the eyes came out much better, I will post it when it's painted. Thanks

8. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Everything looks good except for the earbutts to me. they seem a little low.

9. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 Member

Whitetail,
    The eyes look like need more clay around the brow.Also it maybe the pic But they look like there sunk in.Eye lids would also be a good thing to add....Reference pics should help.
    I used to have a problem with shrinkage around the eyes.So I started makeing the deer looked stoned or tired....lol As it dried they would pull up some & if they didn't I'd just push them up alittle before they were dried .

Nostrils don't look open enough

Ears. See on the top of the right ear where the dark hair meets the white hair....It looks as if the white hair is not inside the cup of the ear.....May just need brushed

Hope this helps .......

10. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

ear bases wrong and crooked

11. The first thing that pops out to me is the eye's. Your ear butt's are a little low. it looks like there is a good bit more lip showing on right side compared to the left side. the hair pattern on top of the head is off. Overall though it looks very nice, any customer would be happy.

12. Thanks for the comments, I have been using the Eppley ear system on the last few mounts because of struggling with ear butt shape. For those of you not familiar with them you can buy ear forward, ear back or ear aggressive butts and fit the ear liners in them. I also rasp the form down so the butts flow into the form to what I think is the correct position which on this mannikin takes off most of the foam down to almost flush with the head. I also position them so the back of the butts flow around the rear of the head and up so they flow with the top of the head after adding clay to replace the missing muscle on top. Then I drill a hole in the butt and counter sink a screw to hold them in place.Then I use apoxie sculpt to blend the butts even more with the form.It doesn't take much. after I use epo grip in the ears to bond the liners I slide the hide on with a short incision and epoxy the liners into the butts. I thought that this would help me position the ears much better than my luck with clay butts and be more accurate in placement. Am I doing something wrong?

13. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I use clay. But that is what I was taught to use. Like George says, Thats the way Ive always done it , I do commercial work. I try to make all my deer have that real apeal, but also try not to spend too much time on each deer. If you are planning on doing this as a living. You have to find a happy medium. Ive ben watching. A lot of beginners asks for a critique on their work and thats fine. Let us know what your plans are. Either trying to get comp. guality or comercial. the critique is different. A comercial mount needs to be good but does not have to be perfect. Just my 2 cents. That being said. For a comercial mount all I see is the Ear butts look a litte small and low IMO.Danny

14. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I don't think any customer would have anything to complain about, but from previous posts about ear butts, the bottom of the butt shouldn't be lower than the eye. Even with that, I would not be ashamed of a mount like that for a customer.

15. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

If your going to Eppleys ear buts you should try there forms thy will match up with the muscle detail that is on the form and i thank that will help you out on the rotation of the ear and the postion. they will not work for compation they are a little off

16. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

I am sure that just about any customer would be happy to get this type of a mount back from there taxidermist. Also I think at most shows, you are going to do alright. There are always things to work on and many of us have established that a copy of a live reference is likely to get picked apart at a show. I think this mount looks solid. Keep up the good work and continue studying the reference.