1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bamaboy, Apr 2, 2008.

1. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

i put this together tonight and spent a grand total of $0, i found the wood turkey hunting this week end and everything else is scraps from teh garage laying around. let me know what you think i think the guy is going to liek it, the tail feathers are a mess, it was destroyed when i got them i spent hours trying to starighten them and this is about as good as i could get them.

2. arrowhead

arrowhead New Member

Honestly, it looks like crap. The fan is a mess, it's all frayed on the ends, it looks like you didn't groom it at all . If you would have plucked the quills out of the a$$ of that thing and lined everything up perfectly, spent 25 cents in bondo or hot glue putting it back together, it would have looked allot nicer then what you have now. Honestly, pluck the feathers out of the a$$ and rebuild it, lay it all out even and put a dab of bondo or hot glue on the quill bases. It will look much better.

3. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 Member

Different but cool.....
    As far as pulling all the tall feathers out.....lol.....Yeah then charge the guy $350.-

4. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

Arrowhead, critique is one thing, which is what i want, but being an A$$Hole is different, i appreciate your input but you could have left your smartass remarks out of it. If i had of posted this on the"MASTER TAXIDERMIST TURKEY FAN MOUNT FORUM" then ok. your personality is about like your Aviator, pointless. i want replies that are going to HELP me be a taxidermist ONE DAY.

5. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

thats the only way he knows how to talk, he got into this in another post once before, i remember the avatar. as for your mount, its different, and to pull the tail feathers together better, use steam, boil some water and hold your fan over the steam, using your fingers close the gaps in each feather at the tip, it will give it a cleaner look. good luck, Russ

6. I like the idea of your wood work. It is differant. Although a little bulky to me i like the way your thinking. As for the fan just take it out and redo it. Take your feathers completely free from the skin, Pin them to a board or cardboard in the correct position. Then either use some bondo or hot glue to replace the skin that held the tail feathers. Like wildlife taxid said use steam to fix the ends of the feathes. You can do that when you have the feathers apart.

7. B2L

B2L New Member

looks pretty nice to me.. definitly different.. but i like different.. same old crap gets boring.. as far as the feathers.. thats why im afraid to mount a birdy:-/

8. still deciding if I like it or not... I like the wood work, do not get me wrong... just still on the fence with the combo.

I personally perfer a little more contrast (lighter wood tone) to try to make the colors of the feathers stand out a little more.. it might be the pic, but it looks kinda dark... cannot tell.

as for the grooming tips given - they will give you a cleaner appearance on the mount... just take your time...

9. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

thanks for the replies guys, i will definitely try the steam technique when i get home from school,beaumont, i agree that a lighter colored wood would help teh display of teh feathers but might i add that i am not charging the guy for this because i told him im just getting started and need prectice so i felt that going through the trouble of buying the perfect color wood was not mandatory, he told me to do soemthing different if i could, not just the same ole fan kit look so i think that he will like the arrangement but i definitely need to clean up the feathers, i got so aggrevated with them yesterday that i just had to walk away before i completely went nuts. thanks guys

10. I am tracking with you Bama.. and have done several items (euro mounts and such) where I was told to feel free to do whatever as I was doing them for practice... they got a freebie (except for cost of materials) and i got practice.. win/win...

11. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

forgot to add one thing , the only thing i dont care for is the different color of woods, if you could have made the sheild portion look aged like the long backboard peice i feel it would have looked better or vice versa, i hate to mix and match wood colors like that, other than steaming the feathers like i told you earlier, i think he would be very happy with it, as it is different and that is what he wanted, Russ

12. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

do you have an extra toothbrush lying around? Brush your feathers with that, it works great!
    I'm also on the fence with the wood, I do like the wood, but I think it takes away a bit, especially from the beard which is almost lost in the wood.

13. arrowhead

arrowhead New Member

My reply did help, I told you how to improve. Did I call you a name? Who do you care where your advice comes from? Be it a preacher or me, good medicin sometimes doesn't taste good. I did not bash you, just the tail, don't be so thin skinned. Some of us don't have "flippen people skills".
    I found that if I pluck the quills and clean them, and rebuild the tail, it can be made next to perfect. And you won't have that big thick hunk of fat filled tail to cure and dry out with borax.

14. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Honestly bamaboy, I'm digging this idea. The piece of wood you chose for the front...the lines in it match the lines in the feathers. Yes your technique needs work, but the idea, I like! I don't like the larger piece of wood in back though...it throws the balance off somehow. I too am sick of the "standard" mount with a shiny piece of wood in the front. Right now I do the hot glue/bondo method & put leather on it, some times some bead work or burning. I really like your idea though and it's one I'll keep in mind, especially with the new turkey season coming up. ;) Thank you for sharing.

15. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

Thanks for the replies, for those of you who werent likin the difference in the wood color, (me included) i did stain the fan cover piece tonight to darken it and i think it looks much better.Arrowhead im not going to get into a heated discussion with you but if i do recall i did thank you for your advice, just not the way you put it in text, and who the hell ever said that you called me a name, im not soft hearted or thin skinned but your way of responding last night was not called for.dont get me wrong honesty is what i want but you need to chill on the way you jump on peoples mistakes liek you did, once again, most of us who post our work on here are beginners, so even though you may be the best taxidermists to ever walk this earth, i am not.

16. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

Your imagination is your limitaion You r thinking taxidermy is a way to show some of your artistic qualities I am sure you will refine this as long as your customer likes it that is the key. Do not take the plucking comment too rash I pluck every one of mine and use a little of the other feathers cleanened up (skin cleaned up ) and put in front of them. it takes no time and once you set your fan and tweek the feathers they are set no dry time.