1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

laugh your butt off?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by frantz, Apr 2, 2008.

1. frantz

frantz New Member

Well, ya, sure. I have been watching this site for years, but now I have a good story to tell ya.
    Me started taxidermy.... geee damn! think it was 30 years ago, hahahaha, I was in high school in a place where president Bush is (or was) today. All nice and good. Moved to the US and A, got a good job, no problem with that, and then decided to mount some deer heads for myself. OK, you want to mount deer heads, you need equipment. Purchased all the junk, and then said, hey, since I already put $$$ in it, why not mount stuff for profit, ya?
    So, here I am, part time taxidermist, doing OK, can't complain.
    A few months ago called a guy not far from my place to see if he does freez-dryed turkey heads. He did. Went there with my bag of heads from last year and we struck a deal: he does not like to mount birds (neither do I, but what the hell!, I need $$$$$), so I will do birds for him. Of course, he gets about $100 for each mount without doing nothing. Cause me prices are about $100 less then anybody else's. Went to my buddy today, delivered 2 turkeys, got my $$$, no problem. Looked around the shop; great! Everything looks professional. All mounts are OK, except that mine are nicer. Deer heads, mine nicer. Turkeys, he's never done any, maybe. Ducks, OK, he can probably beat me on ducks, even tough the widgeon I showed him, my last mount, was a 95 out a 100. Not perfect, but I am getting there.
    OK, so, the guy mounts 280 deer heads a year, don't know how many birds, has a full time employee... well he has a sporting goods store also there, but I am only talking about taxidermy. 280 deer heads a year!!!!!!!!!! Damn. I mounted 10 this season, and I am better than him.
    Yes, I do advertise, I even have a web-page with nice pictures.
    And here is me story and I'm sticking to it. Question is: What the hell is wrong with me, other than stupid is as stupid does?
    By the way, I am looking for somebody to do mounts for me, maybe in China or Taiwan, at least $100 less than I get from my master who gets $100 more for what I do for him. Hey! I am already learning! End of the story.
    Forest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does."

2. arrowhead

arrowhead New Member

this is a no brainer.

3. Wow 280 deer heads a year. Thats alot of heads. I just can't see taking in that much a year.

4. Lenny

Lenny New Member

What's your web site? It's USA.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

I wouldn't take in 280 heads a year, you have to draw the line somewhere. Work smarter not harder.

6. I also doubt your birds are 95 out of 100. esp commercial birds.

Theres no way he can run everything and do them right.

7. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

If you are that good, why charge $100 less than everyone else? That does not seem to be a good business practice to me.

8. arrowhead

arrowhead New Member

Thats the no brainer I was thinking of.