1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

? on Zebra drying

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mike welch, Apr 3, 2008.

1. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a friend that had two zebras, we had a bad storm here and they were struck by Lightning and died. I went the next day and skinned them out for him ,and put them in my freezer for 2 months . I took them out and thawed them and put them in my garage on a tilt trailer and salted them heavily, My problem or question is they have been in salt for 5 days and I have re-salted them until all drainage has stopped, and have hung them up over saw horses to dry, for another 5 days Thing is they don't seem to be drying and mane on one has slipped. Have I done something wrong? I fleshed them completely and put lots of salt on them. skin is a purplish grey color. Thanks for any advice. Mike

2. jorgy

jorgy Member

Being nailed by lightening may not have helped matters any

3. Yes, sorry I live in south Mississippi. and theres no humidity yet but soon will be here. thanks for the info

4. duff83

duff83 what i have in my heart, ill take to my grave

both of em got hit by lightning? :eek: what are the odds ;D hey why did your buddy have zebra's any way? is he an exotic collector?

5. Odd of getting both are really high. animals group, thats why whole herds of cattle and horses have been killed by lightening. We once lost 17 head of cattle to a single stike.

My horses will go down in the valley where there are no trees when we have lightening.

Some people have zebras like other have dogs and cats. I have a friend who has nearly 40 zebras another I trained two to pull a chuck wagon for racing and Jose Avilla has a well trained Zebra Stalion that does tricks, the zebras name is "BAR CODE" but he is not the first to train Zebras to do tricks. Joe Hedrich was the first I believe.

Get a fan on these hides and get them dry.

Lightening strikes normally bust the cell structure and that in turn opens the skin up so it should not be a factor in the drying, the skin should more readily accept salt. Most times a direct strike on animals blows parts off.

6. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

It sounds like you did everything right.Those are large animals and retain a lot of heat.How much time elapsed from the time they died till the salt was applied to the skins and what was the temperature during that time? I think that's your culprit.Ideally,in warm weather like I assume you have,I'd like to start skinning as soon as a big animal like that hits the ground.It's just not always possible.I think you did everything you could.

7. He has a lil farm with all kinds of animals, tigers ,lions and bears oh my lol They have trips for the kids like a petting zoo. and these zebras where in the middle of field standing together, lightning hit about 30 yards from them and came thur ground. he had $10,000.00 invested in these things. Hated to see them go.

8. It was the next day after the storm about 24 hours.

9. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

That's really too much time.Any slipping after that is just to be expected.Good luck with them.

10. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Zebra manes if not "shaved" down and the thick cartilage removed, that runs it's length, will slip the salt will not penetrate it.
    Your just in for more slipping when it is re hydrated, sorry but they are as good as they are going to be, they will just loose more as you or anyone processes thru a pickle and tan.