1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

gassing a coyote skin

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jerry C, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Jerry C

Jerry C a good liberal is hard to find

The taxidermist who taught me mammals, gassed a coyote skin to degrease it. I checked my notes and can't find the type of gas he might have used (regular or white) and as I remember it was for less than a minute. Following this he tumbled it dry. In the archives, George mentions gassing skins, so maybe he could answer this for me. (no Exxon jokes please) lol

2. I know people use Coleman fuel to degrease hides, skulls, and birds. I can't figure out why he would have only dipped the skin in the fuel for one minute. I don't think that would do any good no matter what type of gas you're using. No skin degreases in one minute. It may have been used to add a sheen to the hide with it being tumbled right afterwards???

The industry has come a long way over the last few years. There are plenty of really good degreasers on the market specially made for mammal hides like coyote, coon, badger, etc. They work great and are far less dangerous then the gas. :)

3. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Sounds like he was using gas to displace the water, works wonders on birds but is unnessary for mammals. Get a good commercial degreaser like superpig said and put the gas in you car, lol Good luck!

4. I would go with a commerical degreaser. I've always used greaser buster on all my skin mounts, without any complaints. try it, and you,ll see what I mean.

coyote..

5. Aaron H

Aaron H foxfiretaxidermy.com

Like all things in taxidermy there is more than one way. Dawn dishwashing liquid will do a good job degreasing all dogs and cats without any fire risk. We are exposed to so many health risks in this business why take chances with gasoline? My thoughts--enjoy, Aaron H.

6. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

The question here is truly one of safety. Gas vapors are harmfull, Gas is flamable, explosive if temperatures are right, and can be absorbed through the skin. why in heavens name would you want to use such a product. When there are others that will do a better job. without the risks?

7. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Ok, tell me a better product than white gas to displace water from my birds.

8. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

I believe the idea behind using gas to displace the water in the skin is to promote a much faster drying time.

i