1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First fish....please critique

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by hunter_sortof, Apr 4, 2008.

1. This is my first fish, I don't think it came out toooo bad. But would like to get you opinion.

I did accidentally cut the tail when I was skinning it, and my abilities and rebuilding the
    scales needs some work obviously. I also think I got a bit too much red/flesh color in some areas
    around the fins, and in the mouth, and a bit too much blue in some places as well.

What do you guys think, be honest...( But nice hehehe)

Thanks

2. oh ya,

I gotta figure out how to put those black vertical spots as well......I keep screwing them up

3. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

Do yourself a favor, call WASCO and order "The Tom Sexton Fish Finishing System". Great for beginning fish heads and one of the best schedules for a L.M. bass by one of the greats.Full color pics and lots of great info. I wish more beginners would purchase some of the Breakthrough manuals as there is a ton of info in them, but in todays digital world they seem to get overlooked all too often. Fish is not too bad for a first. Good job.

4. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Ok, you asked for a critique so here's what I see and keep in mind this is only to help with your next one:
    Paint:
    -little too heavy overall
    -too much white and a little heavy
    -middle marking line needs work (use good reference). The line should taper to
    solid looking line. Once again reference pictures are the key
    -pink at the fin butts are little harsh and mechanical
    -bar markings on head are not correct (reference here again)
    - vermiculations on lower third of fish are almost non-existent. looks like you
    painted over them.

Anatomy:

-mouth open a little too big
    -soft dorsal should be closer to the body
    -pec fin a little too far from body for me anyhow
    -pelvic fins should also be closer to the body IMO
    -third picture looks like eye is too big and flat against body (reference here
    also).

The good news is that is a very nice first bass. VERY NICE. Most of us on this site want to see people progress and I remember the critiques on my first ones. If you're attitude is "oh yeah" I see your point as opposed to a bruised ego, you'll make leaps and bounds in your progression.
    Granted, this is what I see and there are many, many people on here more qualified than me. I hope they answer you also. Good luck on your next and we look forward to seeing you grow.

5. Thanks Brian,

That's exactly what I was looking for....Some of the stuff you mentioned I saw as well.

I know the paint isn't right, and I kinda caught the pec fins as well...

Good thing is this is a practice fish, so I will strip the paint and try again...( I was going to anyway
    that pink on the fins is driving me nuts!!!! :D )

6. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Good attitude and Good Luck.......................

7. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

Good job for you first fish, just keep practicing and use reference!

8. JasonMoe

JasonMoe New Member

I like the tail in bass2a.jpg vs. the tail in bass3.jpg better.

9. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

Really nice fish for your first one I wish mine looked that good. I would not worry about the white on the head I would dust some flesh over the lower part of the cheek and some satin white pearl, for the lateral line when painting use reference and get a shaky hand. For right now try taking a pencil before painting and tip the lower belly scales for your marking lines misting while painting will make them visible until you try some other techniques. Brian gave you some good poniters you will get better with each fish keep that one around to remind you where you started and get another fish.

10. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

I'll tell you the talent some of you folks have right out of te gate is nother short of amazing! Super job!!! I just posted on a a nice rainbow and I'll kind of give you the same direction. What I love to give for direction when I'm judging is find the things you do well and keep that going for you then work on 1 or 2 things at a time to get better at. What I would do or think is a good plan is to break the fish down into areas of work. Skinning, mounting rebuild work painting can all be areas to work on. Then break those down into specail areas. For instants when your rebuilding study hard how a fin comes into the body and work on blending. Eye setting is huge so work on a practice head to get comfortable with this and so on and so forth. Bass are hard but lots of great reference is available to study! Hey go fishing that is the best class room out there!

Your doing great!!!! I look forward to seeing your work in the future.
    My Best!

Rick Krane

11. Thanks for all the suggestions and pointers, I do appreciate it alot!!!

I could tell there was something not quite right, but couldn't put my finger on it. I know the paint wasn't right
    and I thought the fins might be a little off. But the eyes is what was "bugging" me....hehe they aren't "buggy"
    enough.

This is a practice fish so I'm going to strip the paint and see if I can get it closer. I won't be able to
    get it perfect obviously, but the closer the better....

Practice makes perfect!!!! (Almost)

Thanks again, I will make some corrections and post it again.....Same with a trout that I posted as well.

12. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

Not bad.Keep trying it takes a lot of practice. Every fish you do from now on will be that much better than the last. Just remember not to use so much paint. All you want to do is just barely cover and be more transparent so the details so through.

13. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

looks painted.