1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

second fish....rainbow, citique as well?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by hunter_sortof, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Here is my second fish.....

I think this turned out ok. Not sure I have the head right, might be too big? Painting on the head
    I don't think is quite right either.

I also think the anatomy is off just a bit by the dorsal...

What is your opinion?

I would also like to get a better silver shine on the bottom silver scales. This was a dark fish to
    begin with, but my next one is a big 9.6 lbs rainbow I caught and want it is a little brighter
    and I would like to get the nice shiny bright scales on it.

Any advice on scale tipping? I did a little bit on the bass in my previous post, but not sure that came out right either.. ;D

Thanks in advance.......This is a great site.....

I should also add 90% of everything I know came off this website. ( the other 10% came from a couple videos)

2. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

I'll let the experts critique, but for your second fish, it is excellent!

3. JasonMoe

JasonMoe New Member

nice job, I think the pink on the side is a little to opaque. I love the black spots. they just blend in awesome. The head might use a little more silver.

4. Im no fish man, but it looks good to me, nice job!

5. By no means is it bad and especially for a 2nd fish it is good. By no means am I any kind of expert, here is just what I have learned by doing. For your next head I would definitely try to "antique" it as some call. it adds more depth and contrast to the fish. The bumps around the dorsal and adipose fins should be sanded down or taxi the skin up to them points so it does not show. The fish does look good though. It is amazing as well to see rainbows from different parts of the states and how the colors vary in them. For scale tipping I add some iridescent blues and purples on the back and sides. I was skinning one the other night and noticed it had a lot of purples and blues in it from the pink to the top of the back. Once again I am not by any means an expert but someone trying to help you a little.

6. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

remember it is best to make sure the head is right when mounting. If you have a head that is a little off match it at the top and sculpt the mottom in use a heat gun to heat up and cut with scissors for any adjustments. You can also do that so your gill plates lay down. When mounting test fit and mark with the skin on heat the flaps up put on the body and pin in place while cooling. Adipose needs to be a reproduction I would have cut it off. It should lay right along the body, the edges real thin. Some mottled effect on the head would help. Any gold on top of the head here and there then paint your spots in the light colors. I would suggest getting some rub n buff ruby red or some of the mettalics from vandykes (wildlife colors) red, Gold, yellow gold, violet, silver, pearl silver, red orange, it will help you get some depth on the head and the body. Not bad for your second fish. Practice makes almost nearly perfect.

7. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

I sure wish my second fish or my 20th fish looked that good! It is some times over whelming to put all the pieces together to have the fish we want or we know we can do. What I love to give for direction when I'm judging is find the things you do well and keep that going for you then work on 1 or 2 things at a time to get better at. What I would do or think is a good plan is to break the fish down into areas of work. Skinning, mounting rebuild work painting can all be areas to work on. Then break those down into specail areas. For instants when your rebuilding study hard how a fin comes into the body and work on blending. Eye setting is huge so work on a practice head to get comfortable with this and so on and so forth.

Your doing great!!!! I look forward to seeing your work in the future.
    My Best!

Rick Krane

8. Thanks for all the suggestions. They are lots of help and are appreciated..

This is also a practice fish, I did mess up by not getting the head mounted to the body first.
    Then it turned out the head I ordered, did not fit at all. There was no way it was going on to
    that form....OOOpps So I had to order a different one to fit, but it is still not quite right.

I think the real problem was the form was to big. ( I need to learn to carve my own)

I am going to go ahead, since this is a practice fish ( Pretty nice fish for a practice fish huh, you should see
    my good one ;D ) And try to make those corrections. I think I may try and build the dorsal fin up
    to the hump on the back, same with the adipose, which I will rebuild with apoxie sculpt.

I'll try and see if I can reset the eyes, I can see they are way off after looking close and some reference pics.

And I'll strip the paint and see if I can get some more detail, especially on the head.

Thanks for the critiques and suggestions.....All ways welcome !!!!!!

I will post again after I correct those things.

Thanks again!!!

9. You have a great attitude, in my opinion the only way to learn this stuff the fast way. Keep it up. I will be honest I am not the best either and will be posting pictures for critique as well. It is hard to tell how your doing when your the artist. EVerything looks good then. Again keep up the good attitude.

10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

very nice job! your spots are excellent, shaped properly and spaced out nicely. I think your pectoral fins are a bit too far forward and a bit too "green" on the head. each one you do will be a little better than the last and you have a great start.
    Oh yeah, clip off that adipose fin and either sculpt one or use an artificial store bought one, they never preserve very well. Good luck, your doing great. Bill

11. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

Paint your spots after you put your stripe on. Here is a pic hopefully will help you on some use of metalics.