1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why do people dicker in the for sale section??

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 11PYBOWHUNTER, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Rob, my husband is the king of dickering. The...oh what the heck was it called?? A farm & ranch supply place...ARGH I've forgotten. Anyway, they were going out of business. We needed a new rototiller. He got the tiller at half price...AND the sales clerk gave him her employee discount! He also got a "broken" wheel barrow for $5.00. He brought it home, moved both of the tires to the OUTSIDE of the axle where they were supposed to be, and presto...perfect. ::) Knothead guy put it together wrong. I can talk to someone until I'm blue in the face to get them to take the price down and I'm elated if I get 25% off. Ivan breathes in their general area and he gets that same 25% plus. Used to irritate me, but then I realized it's saving us money even if they'll only do it for him!

Gotta love dickerin...beats paying full price any day of the week. Now if I'm selling something, I want to get what I know it's worth. If I'm buying, I want to get it for as good a price as I can get. Why would I get irritated at someone else for trying to do the same dang thing? ;)

2. yep, if more people would understand something is only WORTH, what someone is willing to pay.. not necessarily what you want, or thinks it worth... Well at least thats my opinion ;)

3. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

Sorry Bowhunter, im a bit slow when it come's to figuring out the yellow faces, thought you was being a jerk. My Bad. Don. removed my comment.

4. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

i agree, its only worth what its worth, and this whole world is based on not paying sticker price for stuff, heck i at times can be a dick.....erer, i think i got it right, dickerer, (one who dickers) ;D

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

This has got to be the stupidest complaint post ever put on her.

You are dealing with over 10,000 people, aging from 9 to 90 with rags to riches income numbers. You are going to find a different kind of apple under every tree...........................what else do you expect ::)

6. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

hey thats kinda what i said.Well i know he will listen to Michael p.

7. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

So Mike, I guess your saying you would also dicker if given the chance.

8. No problem Don, it took me a few slams to figure out that the smiley thing lets people know your clowning around.

I guess Dickering is ok for some by the feedback on here, but i just see it as a waste of time, thats all. Would be much easier if people just posted what they wanted for their items and be done with it. As someone on here said though, it might not be worth what people say, especially when talking about the price of bobcats! I can buy bobcats whole that were trapped for 60 dollars a piece all winter long if i wanted...which is cheap to me, but for some, they are worth much much more!!...Maybe next fall i will buy me a bunch of them and mount them up, or maybe even put them up for sale on here to see what they are worth.

Actually...let me ask this question. How much is this cat worth to you?? It was 36 pounds...and was like 42 inches from nose to base of tail. He was exceptionally long legged for a cat and had a huge head. The trapper i got him from said it was his biggest he has gotten in a few years. According to what i have read on here, it would go for alot of money...but the trapper i got it from only wanted 60 dollars for it with a CITES tag. I bought three of them without haggling him. I actually thought at the time it was worth alot more and after reading all i have on here, i know it was.

9. Here is a bad picture of what the cats head looked like. It was actually a really beautiful cat.

10. michael p.

Normally I wouldn't, but it would depend on the circumstances.

If I recall right one time I did, there was a guy trying to sell a table full of albino coons once and he was asking a good amount for each one. I really had no use for it, but still wanted to buy it so I P.M.'ed him & told him I would send him such & such amount of dollars Paypal right now if he would sell it for "X" amount of dolllars and he did. but 99.9% of the time I just buy it.

I guess where I am finding the idiocy & stupidness in 11PYBOWHUNTER post is that he is coming on a free web site that is open to the general public to do his business on & he is finding little crap to gripe about. IMO (and I could be wrong), he is new to any type business in general. Because if he had any experience then he would find he is making a mountain out of a mole hill, the crap he is griping about is miniscule in comparison to some and most of the problems others encounter selling a product or service.

As I stated before, you are dealing with such a wide range of people from various needs for the product, economic siituations & age group that the problem he is whining about should have actually been expected.

11. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

wholesale or no-sale

12. MikeP, Your post makes sense but the thing is, the going back and forth is a waste of time and when people do not have alot of it for any number of reasons but are trying to find that certain something unique to their need. Why haggle, and in my position, i SAID that i put in my post on a different forum that the price was firm and no haggling, do not waste my time! And i STILL had people try to haggle. Whats funny about the whole thing is that this item i was trying to get 40 dollars for ended up being sold on Ebay after a friend on the same site recommended i sell it there and make alot more money on it. So i did and it sold for 152.50. Thing is, to me, it was worth only 40 dollars and i knew it was worth more, but i only wanted 40 dollars for it and i knew it would help out someone else.

So to answer your question, "IMO (and I could be wrong), he is new to any type business in general" YES, you are wrong. I am not new to any business and i am not new to swap and selling. Any one of the people i have bought and sold from off the internet can tell you this. I do not haggle and i just see it as being more time effieicnt if others didn't too, thats all. Dang, how hard is it to understand. It can't be to hard because you yourself said that "99.9% of the time I just buy it".

So you voiced your opinion that you think this is a stupid question or thread. Congrats to you, it is your right to be able too. Soldiers are dying every day in Iraq and Afghanistan to preserve that right. Some are even friends of mine, 2 were even in my truck when an IED hit it. Opinions is what makes this world wonderful and full of variation. I do not know if i should thank you or throw stones so i will just leave it at that.

Pescado, the cat was bought for taxidermy, but he usually sells at fur auctions. The cat in the pic was one of three that i bought. I would have bought more if i had known him in the begining of the season but alas, i met him just prior to him going to the auction and the three i got were the last three that were whole. This fall he said he would sell as many me as i wanted to buy.

13. michael p.

11PYBOWHUNTER, thank you for your service to our country, but there is no sense in you explaining to me that soldiers keep our country free....I spent 10 years active & reserve serving the same country in the same Army that you do.

Now, just because you are a soldier does not give you the freedom to post ridiculous posts with out being called out on it ;) :)

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill........this site is going to (once again :p ) have every diverse crowd you can imagine buying and selling. It's part of the business. Deal with it & drive on soldier ;)

14. B2L

B2L New Member

I expect everyone to dicker (boy for some reason i love saying that word) even taxidermists.. Case in point. Took my Osceola to a guy to get mounted.. he did a great job on it.. The next year my cousin and I went to Texas and shot 3 Rio's.. I called him up and said I got 3 birds for ya can you cut me a deal.. his repy nope prices went up.. my reply okay thanks.. called another taxi and he said sure cut 75 bucks off each bird so i saved 150 on this mount and i think it turned out quite nice.. like some one said we are americans we are made to dicker ::)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eric

15. If it bothers you that bad just don't sell things.

16. B2L, that is an incredible mount!!

17. B2L

B2L New Member

Thanks, the only problem with it.. It's to big! The mount was done in VA beach.. Im now in PA... I need a van to haul it back in.. urgh! Currently it is on my sisters dining room table:) Would it be safe in a tow behind uhaul if it is secured in? Im worried about the top one breaking off... The heads were done by the one and only Cally Morris and are flipping amazing! My osceola is mounted coming out of a strut head up wings semi relaxed and tail semi closed pointing down.. Got hosed on my eastern.. the old guy died and i have yet to see my deposit!!!! If i kill a merriam next weekend its going to be in a tree semi strutting:) If i knew how to mount birds I could have saved myself a couple thousand:-(
    Eric'
    here are the heads.. not the greatest quality of pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jake

jake Member

Part of human nature and part of doing business.Union negotiate every contract