1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hypothetical Question for Bird fanatics

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by 11PYBOWHUNTER, Apr 6, 2008.

1. OK, i am going to be getting back into taxidermy in the fall / winter and i would like to do one week with a bird expert. My question is this, if you could do one full week of bird taxidermy with an expert, who would you choose and why? I do not even know of any bird experts out there that take in students except one i read about on here which i plan on contacting this coming week. I know who i would like to spend a week learning some techniques with but i am pretty sure he does not do that sort of thing.

2. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

I personally would spend a week with Frank Newmyer in Gladwin, Mich. He likes to share his christian views which seems to make some dislike him but never bothered me any. He was offering one on one hands on classes at his studio and access to his aviary. Ihaven't talked to him in a while but his number should still be the same 989-426-2213. Good luck, MarkW.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Frank is not for the young or young at heart. If you want to know what his fine Christian thinks about YOUR abilities, buy his habitat video from WASCO and listen carefully. He'll remind you several times that you'll never be as good as he is. There are lots of great bird artisans out there. Choose what you'd be comfortable around in a learning environment that YOU are paying for.
  4. Thanks guys. I have been looking at one bird guys website and also at a few others, i also saw the thread on here about bird schools...I belive George started the thread. If i had seen it before i posted this, i might of worded it differently. As i said though, i was looking to see who exactly you would go with if you knew what you do now, back then. If you would take lessons from yourself, as weird as it sounds than thats fine too. I got two PM's with recommendations to the same guy, so i am going to give him a call this evening. I will not rule out anyone though i am just starting to look around.
  5. nate

nate Active Member

You could give Jerry Froelich a call at www.flywaytaxidermy.com. You wont be disappionted.
  6. Stefan Savides has a week long class and he even lets you stay at his home and he feeds you. I went and learned alot and had a great time and made some friends. It wa well worth the money spent.

Todd B
  7. JBird

JBird New Member

there is no one better than Pat Rummans - but I'm not sure he's even taking students anymore - worth a call though
  8. ToddB, got any ideas on how to get ahold of Stephan Savides??

Jbird, I was told that Par Rummans did not take in students anymore.
  9. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

George, There was a time when I would have told you the same thing about myself . I have seen some of franks videos and read some of his books. I finally grew up enough to glean what information I could from whatever source I could, even you every now and then. and didn't take anything else personally. those videos you keep referring to were made a long time ago and people do sometimes change. Every time someone mentions Frank's name on here you have to jump in and tell everyone how it appears you got your feelings hurt over something he said in a video, we listen to you bash people all the time. I heard the horror stories about Frank before I met him and almost didn't go to that show and compete, glad I went anyway because I met a different person than the one everyone was describing and since then have learned and grown as a bird taxidermist because of it. there are a lot of people who come on here who could benefit more if we spent less time scaring them away from something others may not be mature enough to look beyond. MarkW.
  10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Mark, I saw Frank 2 years ago and read about the Michigan show and saw his actions at the world show. So please, remember I've been around a few weeks beforehand. I had him do a seminar at the NTA my last year there and sat in on it. I saw a packed room end up with about 10 people in it because their heads were spinning. I would be the last one to imply that Frank wasn't a true master of his art and a phenomenal taxidermist, but a leopard can't change his spots. If you aren't truly a birdbrain, then Frank is NOT someone you want to send a "beginner" or a "novice" in to work with. And he's not the ONLY one like this. Have you ever met Ben Haden? Just a super nice guy until he starts teaching you how to mount a rattlesnake. Then he becomes one. Now from my perspective, I don't have to put up with crap like that when I'm paying the freight. I'm paying to LEARN and not for having to "glean what information I could" from my hard earned money. I go to church to hear sermons. Hell, if I'd wanted to live in that environment, I could have stayed in the Air Force and listened to dumbass colonels and generals all day long.
  11. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Look at taxidermy websites on the home page of this site. Look at Oregon for Avian Design. Todd and I were there at the same time.
  12. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

Kenny Asproth in Minnesota....probably the best bird taxidermist in the country.....good teacher too......he taught for Victor Birontas for years knows how to work with "green" students
  13. Thanks for all the comments guys, your all a wealth of info. Now is the hard part, choosing just one person.

BJones, I almost fell out of my bunk when i read your screen name. I thought the "B" stood for something other than Brad. You see, there is an arrogant piece of work that lives not to far from my place and his last name is Jones and his first name begins with "B". I am thankful your not him. I think this site would be tainted if he was a member. The guy i am talking about is not worth the sperm used to make him... I would never deal with him and would not let even the most pain in the tailfeathers customer that i truely can not stand take his work to this guy. :eek:
  14. Here is another vote for the training that Stefan Savides offers...I have been there twice and will probably return again in the near future. You just can't beat the quality instruction that he offers as well as looking over his pond in the morning with a cup of coffee in hand...
    I guarantee you will enjoy the experience at Stefan's place. Brad and I had a great time and the learning experience was well worth the money. Stefan showed us a great time and his pond is right out the back of his shop and home. Tons of live reference to look at.

Todd B
  16. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

where is Stephan located? I might look into this also.
  17. Klamath Falls, Oregon
  18. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

11pybowhunter, I am glad I am not the dude you thought I was.
  19. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Well, the pond picture sold me, LOL. Either Savides or Caruthers would be my choices.
  20. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

I would mount a week alone, with me, myself and I