1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pictures of Deer Skin Before and After Fleshing

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by darkbloodwyvern, Apr 7, 2008.

1. darkbloodwyvern

darkbloodwyvern We've been sent here to raise hell and cause chaos

Does anyone have any pics or links where I can see a fresh skinned then defleshed skin?

I am going to try to start some tanning work, but I have very little idea what the processes should look like! I have some squirrels and deer feet i want to practice a few different types of chemicals on and see which i like best.
    thanks in advance for advice!

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Re: Pics of defleshing?

I have a buck cape to flesh tomorrow, I'll snap a few pics of before and after.

3. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Here's one thread that might help you too...it's turning eyes, ears, lips etc. The tutorial part begins on the 2nd page. Glen Conley really pitched in big time. Mostly just remember to get as much of the meat & membranes off as you can. With feet you won't have to turn eyes etc, but the pics show good examples anyway.

Nina's pics will help too Dark. Good luck & have fun!

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,11042.0.html

4. Nina Lukaszewicz

Here are the pics. Hope this helps.

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Splitting the eye lids, and fleshing around them

[​IMG]

here is a picture of the hide in the middle of fleshing.

[​IMG]

finished and ready to go into the Krowtann

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Re: Pics of defleshing?

wow nina...what do you use to flesh? that looks perfect

6. Nina Lukaszewicz

I do all the facial fleshing by hand with a Havel's #22 scalpel blade, and everything else on my Dakota 5 fleshing machine.

7. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

nice pics nina

8. Bighunter4x4

Bighunter4x4 Member

Nice pictures Nina. Thank You. Have you always had the Dakota 5 or was that an upgrade?

9. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Good job again Nina!

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Nina, the pictures speak for themselves but the work is simply great. That's an excellent fleshing job.

11. Nina Lukaszewicz

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Bighunter, I got the Dakota 5 about two years ago. It is my first and only fleshing machine. I want to uprgrade to the Dakota Pro when I get some extra money.

12. Re: Pics of defleshing?

Great pics and a great job Nina. I got to get a dakota pro.

13. Re: Pics of defleshing?

looks a lot better than my mini-flesher lol, probably took half the time too

14. BMan40

BMan40 New Member

wow those pics definitely raise the bar on fleshing...... Note to self to NEVER post pics of fleshed capes.......

I cannot imagine how long it took to get it that clean?
    Please tell me that was not a 30 minute job.......

15. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I tried once or twice to use my fleshing machine for raw capes but it reminded me too much of when I had to clean the meat department at Kroger...GROSS...too hard to clean that raw stuff out of the machine for me. BUT...if you treat the hide with the Stop Rot about an hour before you flesh, it works pretty good, and doesn't seem to gum up as much.

16. Country Girl

Country Girl Hey ya'll!!!!

WOW!!! nina, that is a great fleshing job.... I hope i get that good before too much longer... CG :D :D

17. Bobbi Meyer

looking again...is that a bottle of Stop Rot in picture # 3?

18. Nina Lukaszewicz

Bobbi, I agree with what you said, and yes that's Stop Rot. I only applied it to the face. On this particular cape which was kind of bloody, I dusted it all over with some dry preserve, and that took out the majority of the moisture right away. This made the fleshing job much easier, since I wasn't working with a slimy cape. It also probably won't affect the tanning process, because the DP was only applied to the red meat on top and all of that was removed in fleshing.

Bman40, I honestly don't remember exactly how long it took. The facial fleshing with the scalpel takes the longest, but it pays off in the long run (less flesh to shave off after tanning) That meat is much easier to remove when the skin is at its green state, than when it has been through the Krowtann. I can tell you though, that everything I did on the fleshing machine was a breeze and didn't take long at all. Once you get used to your flesher you learn to become more proficient with it.

19. Re: Pics of defleshing?

Nina - nice work... on the fleshing, and also with the photography....

20. Bobbi Meyer

I know the couple times I did it, I really had to set the lip of the blade down so it wouldn't bite into the actual skin. Do you do that too Nina?