1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dead beaver

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Allwood, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Allwood

Allwood New Member

I found a large dead beaver in my yard this am. Is it to late to try and mount it? I would guess it is not even 24 hours dead. Was not there last night. What would you suggest? Thanks

2. chuck him in the freezer... it might be okay... put him on ice until you decide how you want to proceed... once you have your game plan, thaw him out / stop rot on him and skin away...

3. Allwood

Allwood New Member

Should I gut him first? I would imagine it is starting to get a little ripe. Temp. in the 50's.

4. freeze it whole, as the intended purpose for him might dictate the type of cuts for skinning you do....

5. u might want to contact your local conservation warden for a permit ---i dont know what state your in but our boys can be difficult--

6. good point whitetail... I was taking that portion for granted

7. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

when you pick up anything , check for hair slippage , rub hard on the face area , or the area that was touching the ground , no slippage , you should be OK , then call dnr and get a permit. It's better to be safe then sorry.

8. Allwood

Allwood New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Problem is when I got home the bugger was gone! Something dragged it off into the woods! Had to be a large animal to pull it away! Maybe a coyote? Who know's, but it is gone now.