1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is Saftee Acid Safe on Hands

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by impact, Apr 7, 2008.

1. impact

impact Member

Iowa
    After pulling the cape from the Saftee acid pickle, can you handle the cape without gloves while shaving?
    STEVE

2. I believe the answer is yes to this, as I did my first hides without gloves... but it is not suggested...

after suffering no adverse affects from my first tannng escapades, I have learned more and think it a bad idea / unsafe habit to form.... I personally hate wearing gloves, but let yourself get and infection or a chemical burn, and that is a painfull lesson to learn.... as the gloves are cheap.... get them.... use them....

this is a recurring topic, and there are long threads in the archives on this matter.... most of us do not like wearing them, but all prefer to keep our fingers and hands working....

3. Felpy

Felpy New Member

Saftee Acid is buffered so it is not as caustic/reactive as it would be if it weren't buffered. Short term contact with diluted SA usually does not cause any problems as long as it is rinsed off. I would reccomend surgical gloves while shaving as long term contact may cause a rash or irritate the skin.

4. Wear gloves as you could get a pretty bad case of dermititis like I did.

5. rcb

rcb home is where the heart is, it's good to be home

I was the first to use saftee acid dating back to 1993 and have not suffered any ill effects as of yet

6. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Thats the reason I started using it. I have never had a problem with it burning or cracking my hands.

7. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Taxidermists rely on their hands - a lot! Likewise, its not good to risk having problems when wearing something like cheap surgical gloves can eliminate any possibilities. Handling any acid soaked skins exposes your hands to possible irritation depending on your own personal tolarance, and the risk just isnt worth it. Particularly if you also have a habit of wiping your eyes a lot too! Wear the gloves - and be safe!

8. jake

jake Member

Anything you touch you absorb.....some now some more latter. Once of prevention is worth a pound of cure...Wear gloves