1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

am i wasting salt ??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Shootem Up Taxidermy, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Shootem Up Taxidermy

Shootem Up Taxidermy Life is to short to live in the past

after i bust out a deer i salt it and all the left over salt i throw away am i doing the right thing or should i be reusing it?????
    thanks...joey

2. by left over salt are you meaning the salt that shakes off the hide? if that is the case, do not re-use it... you can save it for ice consitions... or put out in a feild for the deer to lick..

3. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

if the salt is dry and clean , you can reuse it

4. gab

gab Active Member

if its doing its job,it'll never be dry and clean after use,unless there's alot extra piled on top

5. Salt is about $6.58 per 50 lbs.

Ebay has deer capes on auction for around $80 plus shipping.

I wouldn't worry about wasting salt. Consider it cheap insurance.

6. point taken, but I am a cheap individual... my co workers have a nickname for me that could get this zapped... I will reveal this in a pm...

but save the dropped salt and use it to salt slugs or whatever...

7. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

just remember one thing don;t be cheap with the salt, after you rub it in good , put it on thick.

8. Works good for killing grass around driveways and buildings.

9. T+T

T+T New Member

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER REUSE SALT!!!! thats a recipie for disaster!!

10. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

the salt i buy is .25 cents a pound.

11. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

alan that is high priced salt

12. buckhunting101

im getting it from walmart in lower quanities.Im going to a farm supply to buy bulk 100 pound bags of it for a much lower cost.

13. ChipD.

ChipD. New Member

I agree with the majority, salt is too cheap to risk a hide. I keep my used salt in a plastic trash can and when it gets full or near full I take it to my hunting areas and dump it.

14. I'm curious if anyone has a scientific reason why salt cannot be re-used? Please explain: if I use left over salt to raise the salinity in my pickle bath, wont the acid kill any bacteria remaining on the salt? Can bacteria live on salt?

15. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

very good question andyo. I would like to know about that too.

16. buckhunting101

sounds like a question for George or yahoo

17. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Exactly Alan. And George has already answered it. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,48033.0.html

If you use his method, you really will NOT have much salt left over. Virtually no waste, there by eliminating the debate about saving it.

18. ChipD.

ChipD. New Member

I believe AndyO. we are refering to reusing salt to salt a hide, you know on a green hide. As far as using used salt in the pickle I see no reason why not.

19. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Yes Chip...I understand what you mean. That is exactly what the thread I posted talks about. George did a tutorial about how to properly prep & salt green capes. The only thing I do differently than what George teaches is I use an old grinding stone that's been in the family for a few generations to grind the salt, instead of double gloving & using my palms. You can use just a few pounds of salt per cape. Period. Virtually no waste at all.

20. ChipD.

ChipD. New Member

I hope what I said was clear, Lisa M. The salt I throw away or dump for salt lick is the wet stuff (lt's like a slushy) it is the salt and fluids that drain in the bucket, not the salt on the hide or that is dumped off the hide on the table. :D