1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

am i wasting salt ??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Shootem Up Taxidermy, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

driyer the salt the better and faster it will dry the skin , if you don't use enough salt this is when you runinto problems with hard spots or slippage , if you salt your skins this is not the place to cut corners use a lot of DRY salt rub it in realy good and put a thick layer on it, salt is to remove the moisture from the skin so if you do not put enough salt or your salt is wet
    YOUR JUST LOOKING FOR TROUBLE AND YOUR STOP ROT WILL NOT SAVE YOUR ASS.

2. StuDaBaka

StuDaBaka New Member

The used salt has all the fluids in it that you extracted from the hide by salt drying. If you use it in your pickle you are adding the stuff you intended to get rid of back into your process and probably eroding the effectiveness of your pickle to hold a PH and do it's job.

It's not just about bacteria. It's about converting a 'live hide' to a tanned hide w/o the bacteria damaging it before it is converted. If you used the used salt in your pickle, your problem will probably not be bacteria. While salt inhibits bacteria, a pickle at the proper PH eliminates them.

3. I just read the link to George's description. I wanted to say: it really outlined things for me. I was under the assumption that you just spread the fleshed hide out, salted it, scraped, and repeated. Now I know how to do it (luckily, as I am salting my first fleshed hide today.. :) thanks George!

4. That is right. The salt that has been used for pulling the liquids out of the hide can be rinsed in a bucket to wash away attached proteins that would work against the pickle. But, after rinsing, the salt dissolves away and what you have left over is not really worth all the effort. A drain barrel effectively will drain the liquid out of the rinsed salt, but you will still lose much of it.

I personally would never introduce used salt into a fresh pickle. It is risky reusing it after it turns to slush. I pay $13.16 per hundred weight and it is free shipping. It would be best to just use it once.