1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing a rabbit

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Mink, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Mink

Mink New Member

Last week sometime I found a road kill cottontail and decided to mount it, since I've never done a rabbit before. I got it skinned and was surprised at how thin and delicate the skin was. I cut SO many holes in the thing just skinning it! I was wondering how I should go about fleshing it, I really don't want to damage it any more. I don't have a fleshing machine, so thats out of the question. Any ideas?

2. If there is any flesh on it just pinch it off with your fingernails. All of the rabbits I have skinned never had much flesh on them after skinning. Just pinch it and peel it off, like when you are removing ear cartilage.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Yes, as Codi said, peel it off, using a fleshing machine on a rabbit is overkill, kind of like getting a drink out of a fire hydrant.
  4. Mink

Mink New Member

Okay, good to know. I hadn't thought of that. Also, should I bother turning the ears, or is it safer just to card them?
    Thanks for the info!
  5. I can tell you a little about cottontail fleshing.. it is tough work! I just fleshed my first skin, and it was a cottontail (first-ever animal I got with a gun.. it could not have been something easier, lol.) I did mine by hand and used some sandpaper.. not sure the grit, but I got advice about this in the Tanning section of this forum.. it helped a lot. It just took patience and unfortunately for me, a few rips, until I actually got the gist of just how Thin the skin is. Being in a hurry, as I learned, is a great way to tear the poor skin in half.. I would sit comfortably at a table with sandpaper (and maybe some hard liquor!) and go at it when you have alot of time.
  6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

fleshing a cottontail is like peeing in the ocean and trying to raise the sea level
  7. Nicnox

Nicnox New Member

If I were you id be ready with the stop-rot too. Dunno about your american bunnys but I often have trouble with slippage here in the uk.
  8. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

If you have access to a bird flesher, you can use that, but still need to be pretty careful. I'd rather flesh grouse and huns than cottontails.
  9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

It may be a challenge to you, but I would turn the ears and either make earliners or use and epoxy...like ear magic. Two part epoxy from Wal-Mart will probably work. If you just card the ears, they will eventually curl, and will slip to the point of being hairless. Use your first rabbit as a learning experience...maybe do a Jack-o-lope...everybody loves them!!!
  10. dp

dp New Member

fingernails and small scissors