1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to make a dream catcher-Poll too!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Lisa M, Apr 12, 2008.

1. will keep this tutorial in mind and maybe make a catcher some day :)

33 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. will keep this tutorial in mind and have every intention of making a catcher some day, but won't eve

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. will look at this thread and be inspired to make a catcher :) :)

22 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. already have made catchers but (maybe) learned a new way because of this thread :) :)

22 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. will never make a catcher >:(

24 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. think Lisa is a super sweet wonderful gal who is really really good at editing option #6 ;D

46 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. hawkflyer

hawkflyer I'm not short, I'm fun sized.

Lisa,
    Thanks so much for the tutorial. I can't wait to try my hand at this. I've always like dreamcatchers and your's are truly beautiful.

2. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

You're all welcome. The whole tutorial isn't done. Still need to put the feathers on in it. But that's not hard & there are LOTS of ways so virtually any way someone chooses to put them on, they'll do it right. Please, when you are done, no matter what it looks like to you, (we're always harder on our own work than other people are) please put a picture here. I'd love to see them. ;)

I'm posting it over here because it's the only thread I can find that my post will end up with a WHITE back ground, so these words are invisible until I tell folks they are here...and where not many folks are likely to quote me because if they do, they'll see these words in the quote & I will be BUSTED! Right now, Russ is getting a HUGE joke played on him by Bill & Pete. He is SWEATING BULLETS and is all SORTS of worried but they're just screwing with him. Love ya Russ...I didn't know about it until just now. Love ya critter. I'm glad it'll all work out. Smoooooooooochesssssssssss.

3. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    OK, I finally got a chance to try this out. It's not nearly as pretty as yours Lisa, but I think it's a fair first effort. I used hemp for the webbing, and in retrospect that wasn't the best choice. It tends to fray too much as you work with it. The tutorial was perfect though. Thanks again for taking the time to put it together!

4. Lisa M

Any internet surfers who have arrived at this tutorial because of the following web site: http://www.omgili.com/omgili/+Re:+HOW+TO+MAKE+EASY+MONEY+FAST+AND+LEGALLY!!!!!!!!

You should be aware that making a dream catcher is neither "easy" or "fast" and if you use the wrong materials, you could end up in jail!

If you're just a crafter wanting to make a catcher for someone you love, for yourself, or for instance, a child who has nightmares, please continue on...and please, put a picture of the catcher you've made at the end of this thread. Thank you so much!

OH MY GOSH! CRITTER!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!! YOU DID A GREAT JOB!!!!!!! I am so proud of YOU! The webbing looks like I could have done it myself! I LOVE IT!! I seriously am so proud! I want to HUG YOU! How big is the hoop? Looks like...ummm....6 inches? You did a great job. I'm serious...beautiful. THANK YOU! SO MUCH THANK YOU!!!!! I think, if you had ever tried it before, you could have made one just like this without any help from anyone. I'm glad me doing this tutorial gave you some inspiration...but the talent...the ideas...they all came from YOU! You should be very proud! Is there anything I could make more clear in the tutorial though? Any questions you might have had?

Thank you so much for making one & sharing the picture with us. :) I am so proud of you!

5. Tilapalewis

Tilapalewis New Member

AR.
    Lisa thank you so much. I have tried looking up on how to make a dream catcher. I even went and bought a kit at hobby lobby, but the directions omg, still scratching my head. When I seen this I went finally help is out there. Critter that is great for your first one. I'm going to start on mine asap. Thank you again Lisa.

6. Lisa M

You're welcome Trappin. I'll warn you like I did Critter though...they are flipping addictive! The small ones go relatively quickly once you get a few done. I can make 1-2 an evening...2-3-4-5 depending on size & if I don't get too nutty with the bead work. After you're tired of the small ones, you can go up to bigger ones. And do more with the beads. I took some deer hair off of some scrap hide, wrapped it with thread...pulled it tight...and it made a pompom looking thing that looks awesome. I want to use them on a new catcher.

I make double catchers...ummmmmm...you know how the 5 rings for the Olympics loop through each other? I do that with 2 hoops. I put either a 3rd catcher in the center hole, or I put pictures in there. I do them for folks who are getting or are married.

You can let your imagination run wild. They become art instead of what they started out as. I'm glad I was able to help you too Trappin. They're fun. As you go along, if there's something that confuses you or you have a question, please don't hesitate to holler & I'll try to clear it up. Thank you. ;)

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Well, here's my sad attempt. Sorry Lisa, I tried, it wasn't your instructions, they were fine. I see where I goofed, too late now, LOL. We'll just say my spider was drunk ;)

8. Lisa M

Becky! THAT IS WAY COOL!!!!!!!!! I LOVE how you skipped some spots on your webbing! It's beautiful! You didn't goof it up at all! It's beautiful!!!!!! I'm so proud of you! You used shells for beads too1 Awesomeeeee!!!!!

9. Tilapalewis

Tilapalewis New Member

AR.
    Becky awsome work I started mine late today. Lisa can you put up pictures of how you also do deer antlers. Thank you again

10. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Re: How to make a dream catcher- Final Pic!

And a pic which in NO WAY NO HOW does it justice... it's hanging in my bedroom wall. I'm thinking of painting the bedroom to match the dreamcatcher!

[​IMG]

11. Lisa M

LMAOOOOOOOO! I'm so glad you like it Bonnie. Enjoy it...always critter.

12. i don't know if i'll ever try to make one but all the same how thoughtful of you to go to all the trouble of posting this tutorial thanks
    Robert west ;D

13. Lisa M

It has really been a TON of fun Robert. I love these things. And seeing the catchers other folks have made...that just LIGHTS ME UP like a Christmas tree in Las Vegas! It truly gives me real pleasure. I'm making a pink one for a little 7 year old girl now. Same pink leather that I used in the pink antler mount. It's going to be just puuuuuuurrrrrrrttttttttyyyyyyyy. Female...delicate...but still have a natural feel. I'm loving it. They are an addiction though. Ivan informed me that if I make any more, I need to sell the ones I have. Well...some of them I can't sell because of the goose or duck feathers on them. BUT if I make them for folks here, I can make as many as I have requests for, AND I get to make more, AND I have the opportunity to spread my work across the country. I could go sell them to the hoity toity decorator shops up the road and get a lot more money for them. But if I do that, then I don't know who'll end up with them. Here, I know the folks...and will continue to have a friendship with them hopefully for years to come. Just a win/win/win/win/win situation. ;) ;D I love taxi.net, yes I do, I love taxi.net...how about YOU?!!? (I'm singing that in my head again. ;) :D)

14. Lisa M

New little one I'm doing for someone here...well, his daughter anyway. Same pink leather as the little white tail antler mount I did. I won't post a final picture of it until after it's in the little girls hands. ;) I sewed beads on to it after the webbing was done, and I put the wrapping on the hoop after the webbing was done too. I did the beads in a zigzag pattern because I like it & it reminds me of the spiders that do that with their webs. Anyway...here's another way to make a catcher. ;) Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. ;)

15. Lisa M

And one I made to thank Becky P for being really sweet to me a while ago. :-* The dots on the quills of the feathers indicate different shades/sizes of beads. Most of them are seed beads but there are some larger copper ones that match the beads in the web itself. On the up close picture of the wrapping with my hand behind...I think I had 6-8 different lengths of leather thong that I was weaving around this hoop at once. It was really hard to keep track of which thong should go where next. I made the wrapping & webbing for this catcher years ago...but then got side tracked...I guess I was waiting until I knew someone who would love it like I did. :) I'm glad I found you Becky. ;)

This catcher is something like 18 inches wide & 36 inches long. Those are turkey tail feathers. The turkey was killed by a bobcat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DropTine

DropTine DSCN0137.JPG

WOW, Very nice Lisa. Mark

17. Lisa M

Thank you Mark. I have fun making them and they're actually theraputic. Helps me chill out. ;) Making them seriously is not hard. If you can do a fish or a bird or a gamehead, you can do a catcher. I wish more folks would try it. :)

18. Lisa M

Asymmetrical...different...I enjoyed making it. :)

19. Lisa M

Any internet surfers who have arrived at this tutorial because of the following web site: http://www.omgili.com/omgili/+Re:+HOW+TO+MAKE+EASY+MONEY+FAST+AND+LEGALLY!!!!!!!!

You should be aware that making a dream catcher is neither "easy" or "fast" and if you use the wrong materials, you could end up in jail.

It is the character of the artist...the love, patience and time they put into a catcher that make it truly a work of art. If all you care about is making crappy flea-market junk, I wish you'd just leave now. I care about these catchers. I do not want to exploit the art form. Also, if there are actual Native American crafters in your area, by doing the crap catchers, you are probably taking away from their livelihood. I urge you to think before you use my information. Chances are good that if you're just doing it for the flea-market type things, you won't care about the morality of it all though. :mad: Damnit.

20. thatguyonline

thatguyonline winnie the pooh

WI
    I am trying this one ASAP. Awesome stuff. I love doing that kind of stuff. I have made a bow, war hammer, drum, mocs, a dog collar, and others.